At Olde Saint Augustine Church in Philadelphia, the opening of the 200th Anniversary of Augustinian presence in the United States was celebrated by 125 friars representing each of the North American Provinces and many guests.
Matthew Carr, having resigned the priorship of Dublin, disembarked at Philadelphia after a seven week voyage from Ireland, to begin a ministry that would develop into the future Province of Saint Thomas of Villanova.
The care of Saint James Parish, Carthage NY, was entrusted to the Augustinians by Bishop Waldhams, following years of difficulty between diocesan priests and parishioners. Fr. John Fedigan was named first Augustinian pastor.
While serving as Apostolic Delegate in the United States, former Prior General, Sebastian Martinelli, was proclaimed a Cardinal this day in 1901 and received his red hat and title of S. Agostino on June 9, 1902.
The closing ceremony of Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. was held on this day. The community moved to a new location in Chicago, joining with the theological students of the Midwest and California Provinces at the Catholic Theological Union.