1908 – 1987 (January 29)
Anthony A. Cirami was born on January 26, 1908, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the son of Joseph Cirami and Maria Grazia, and was baptized in Our Lady of Good Counsel Church in South Philadelphia. He received his early education at Our Lady of Good Counsel School, and entered Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, as a postulant on September 9, 1924. He was admitted into the novitiate in 1928, and professed simple vows on September 10, 1929. He then pursued studies at Villanova College and at The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C. After theological studies in Tolentino, Italy, he was ordained to the priesthood in the Basilica of Saint Nicholas there on July 12, 1936.
Upon his return to the United States, Father Cirami served as assistant pastor at Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Philadelphia, until 1942, when he became a chaplain in the US Air Force. After World War II, he retired from the Air Force with the rank of colonel. He then was assigned to Saint Mary Parish, East Vineland, New Jersey, where he served from 1947 to 1955, ministering to the mission churches in the area and fulfilling the responsibilities of local prior. In 1955, Father Cirami was assigned to Our Lady of Pompeii Parish, Dobbs Ferry, New York, first as parish administrator, from 1955 to 1957, and then as pastor, from 1957 until 1978. During his pastorate in Dobbs Ferry, he was active in the civic community, serving as chaplain to the local police and fire departments. During this period, Father Cirami served as Commissary Provincial of the Philadelphia Vice Province from 1961 to 1967. He was also a member of the Vice Province's Council before and after his term at Provincial. After his retirement as pastor, due to poor health, he continued to assist in pastoral ministry at Dobbs Ferry. He had the joy of celebrating his Golden Jubilee as a priest in 1986 with the community of Dobbs Ferry.
Father Cirami died on January 29, 1987. The Funeral Liturgy was held in the parish church at Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. Burial was in the Augustinian section of Saint Mary Parish Cemetery, East Vineland, NJ.