1928 – 1995 (February 12)
John William Geary was born in Lowell, Massachusetts to John W. Geary and Agnes O'Donnell, on June 24, 1928. Following his early education at Saint Augustine Parochial School, Lawrence, Mass., Lawrence High and Central Catholic High School, he was received as a novice on September 9, 1947 and professed first vows on September 10, 1948. Three years later, on September 10, 1951 he professed his solemn vows. He was ordained to the priesthood in Washington, DC, on June 4, 1955.
Father Geary was first assigned to Saint Paul’s Parish, Mechanicville, New York, in September, 1956. The following year he was transferred to Saint Denis Parish, Havertown, Pa. In 1958 he began teaching at Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, D.C., and in 1960 was sent to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Atlantic City, New Jersey. Father Geary left the community in 1961.
In 1987 he returned to the Province and was assigned to Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington. The following year he was sent to Resurrection Parish, Dania, Florida, and in 1989 to Holy Rosary Parish, Lawrence, Ma. In 1991 he became an assistant at Saint Augustine Parish, Andover, Ma. In 1994, he was assigned to the community in Cape Coral, Florida with ministry at Incarnation Parish, Sarasota.
Father Geary died on February 12, 1995 at Incarnation Church, Sarasota, Florida. His funeral was celebrated at Saint Augustine Church, Andover, Mass., on February 16, 1995 with burial in Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Lawrence.