1922 – 1979 (March 25)
Dominic Joseph Caniglia was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on December 12, 1922, the son of Ettore Caniglia and Louise Cinalli, and was baptized at Saint Rita Church there on March 11, 1923. He attended Saint Rita Parochial School until 1936, and then spent one year at Southeast Catholic High School, also in Philadelphia, before entering Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, as a postulant in September 1937. He received his high school diploma in 1940 and was received as a novice on September 9, of the same year. He professed simple vows on September 10, 1941, and then pursued his college course at Villanova College, where he was awarded a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Philosophy in 1945. He also did graduate work at Villanova from 1945 until 1948, and theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. from 1945 until 1949. Dominic professed solemn vows on September 10, 1944, and was ordained to the priesthood on June 7, 1949 in Washington, D.C.
Father Caniglia’s first assignment was to Saint Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois, in June 1949. In August, 1951, he was transferred to Saint Thomas High School, Rockford, Ill., where he taught until June 1962. He next served as an associate pastor at Saint Augustine Parish, Detroit, and later at Saint Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan. From August, 1963 until August 1965, he taught again at Saint Rita High School, and from August, 1965 until August 1968 he taught at Austin High School, Detroit, where he also served as procurator for the community. In August, 1968, Father Caniglia returned once again to Saint Rita High School where he taught and served as Disciplinarian and Director of Student Activities until the time of his death.
Father Caniglia died suddenly of a heart attack on March 25, 1979 at Saint Rita Monastery, Chicago. He was buried in the Augustinian Cemetery attached to Saint Mary’s Hall, Villanova, Pa., but was later removed to Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pa.
Father Caniglia was a well-loved member of the Augustinian Community and was regarded with great affection by the students whom he taught.