1915 – 1984 (June 5)
Charles J. Danaher, son of Charles Danaher and Catherine Wilmoth, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on December 4, 1915. He attended grammar school at Waldron Academy in Merion. In 1937 he joined the minor seminary of the Augustinians, at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York. He was received into the novitiate on September 9, 1938, and professed first vows on September 10, 1939, and three years later solemn vows. After graduating from Villanova in 1942 he studied theology at Augustinian College, Washington, DC, and was ordained to the priesthood on May 22, 1945. In June 1946 he received a Master of Arts degree from the Catholic University of America.
Father Danaher's first assignment was as a teacher at Saint Augustine High School, San Diego, California, 1946-1949. He then served briefly as administrator of Saint James Parish, Carthage, New York, and as assistant at Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Atlantic City, New Jersey. In 1950, he was reassigned to Saint Augustine High School, San Diego. He was procurator of the school from 1953 to 1962. In June 1959 he was appointed secretary to the Commissary Provincial, also designated as councilor and depositarius. In December, 1959, he was appointed prior of the community of Saint Augustine High School, an office he held until 1962. From 1962 to 1963 he served as a teacher at Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, DC.
In 1963 Father Danaher again returned to Saint Augustine High School, San Diego. From 1967 to 1974 he served in the dioceses of Miami, Santa Rosa, and San Diego. In 1974 he was assigned to Villanova Prep, Ojai, California. One year later, due to a stroke, he was assigned to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, Pennsylvania. At the time of his death on June 5, 1984 he was visiting the community at Saint Augustine High School, San Diego. He was always a gentleman and was exceptionally hospitable to visitors. Father Danaher is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pa.