1911 – 1977 (July 24)
Thomas Francis Calpin, son of James Calpin and Mary Esther Cannon, was born in Philadelphia, on June 21, 1911. He attended Steele Public School and Saint Francis Assisi Parochial School. After three years at Cahill Catholic High School, he entered Augustinian Academy as a postulant in 1929, where, at graduation, he was awarded the German medal and the New York Times Essay Contest Award. During these years he also worked as a concrete layer. He entered the novitiate at New Hamburg, New York, on September 10, 1930 and professed his first vows of September 11, 1931. He pursued studies at Villanova College where he graduated magna cum laude in 1935. He did his theology course at Augustinian College and Psychology at Catholic University, both in Washington, D.C., and was ordained on June 7, 1938, at the National Shrine by Bishop John McNamara.
Upon completion of studies, and reception of an MA in Psychology, Father Calpin was assigned to Saint Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois, as teacher and librarian. He also taught Psychology at the local Catholic hospital. In 1943, he was assigned to Saint Matthew's parish in Flint, Michigan, and three years later was transferred to Saint Laurence O'Toole Parish, Lawrence. Subsequent assignments were to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine in the Bronx, New York, and Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish on Staten Island, N.Y. In January, 1951, Father Calpin was assigned to Villanova College where he taught Psychology and Religion until 1968. He was then named prior at the Archbishop Carroll High School Community, Washington, D.C., where he also taught.
In 1971, Father Calpin was assigned to Our Mother of Consolation Parish, Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania. He was ministering there when stricken with cancer and died at Jefferson Hospital on July 24, 1977. He was buried in the community cemetery attached to St. Mary’s Hall, Villanova. His body was later removed to Calvary Cemetery in West Conshohocken.