1856 – 1951 (March 2)
Daniel John O'Mahoney, was born to Jeremiah O’Mahoney and Mary Toomey, on May 27, 1856, in Smithtown, New York. Three years later the family returned to Ireland where Daniel was educated and received First Communion and Confirmation. In 1871, when he was fifteen years old, the O'Mahoneys returned to America settling in Lawrence, Massachusetts, where Daniel worked in the card and drawing rooms of the Pacific Mill. In 1874, he began studies at Villanova College, and on January 26, 1877, he entered the novitiate. He made his first profession of vows on January 29, 1878 and solemn vows on February 2, 1881. On June 11, 1881, he was ordained to the priesthood at the Vincentian seminary, Germantown, Pa., by Bishop Jeremiah Shanahan.
On July 5, 1881, Father O'Mahoney received his first assignment to Our Mother of Consolation Parish, Chestnut Hill, Pa. In 1882, he was appointed to the Parish of the Immaculate Conception, Hoosick Falls, N.Y. He remained there until 1889, when he was assigned to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Atlantic City, New Jersey. In September 1892, Father O'Mahoney became an assistant in Saint Mary's Parish, Lawrence, Mass. In 1898, he was elected fifth definitor and appointed prior and pastor of Saint Augustine Parish, Andover, Mass. Here he completed the reconstruction of the church begun by Father Thomas Field following a fire of November, 1894.
In 1902, at the end of the Spanish-American War, Father O'Mahoney, together with Father John A. McErlain, O.S.A., volunteered to open a mission in Manila, the Philippine Islands. Father O'Mahoney conferred with William Howard Taft, Governor General of the Philippines, and later President of the United States, regarding the distribution of Augustinian property and the liberation of imprisoned friars. The plan for an American house there was reconsidered and the friars were recalled to Villanova in February, 1905. Father O'Mahoney then became a member of the Augustinian Mission Band, while residing at Saint Mary's in Lawrence. In 1917, he was appointed prior and pastor of Saint Augustine Parish, Philadelphia, Pa., and later became sub-prior of the Saint Mary community, Lawrence, where he served for 24 years, from 1922 to 1946. Ecumenical in spirit Father Dan was respected by people of all faiths. While walking in Lawrence or Andover he greeted everyone along the way. His quick humor and engaging personality made of ordinary people, friends.
In 1946, his health failing, Father Dan retired to Saint Thomas Monastery. He died on March 2, 1951 at Our Lady Help of Christians Convalescent Home in Philadelphia. A Funeral Mass was offered in Saint Thomas of Villanova Church, and a second Requiem was celebrated at Saint Mary's, Lawrence, where hundreds of priests, religious and lay people filled the church. Interment was at Saint Mary's Cemetery, Lawrence.