1929 – 1996 (September 28)
James Edward Warne, son of James Warne and Anna Curtis, was born on September 16, 1929, in Cambridge, Ohio. He was baptized on September 29, 1929, in Saint Benedict Church there, and attended Saint Benedict Grammar School, Saint Benedict High School and two years at Saint Augustine High School, San Diego, California, before entering Augustinian Academy on Staten Island, N.Y., as a postulant. He was accepted as a novice in 1947, professed simpe vows on September 10, 1948, and three years later was solemnly professed. In June, 1952, he graduated from Villanova University with a B.A. degree in philosophy. He pursued his theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., and was ordained to the priesthood at Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Church, Bronx, N.Y., on October 28, 1955, by Bishop Canisius Van Lierde, O.S.A., Papal Sacristan and Vicar General for Vatican City.
In June, 1956, Father Warne received a M.A. in Religious Education with a minor in Sociology from the Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C. In 1967, he continued graduate studies at the University of Pennsylvania in the field of Religious Thought. He had a reading ability in Greek, Hebrew, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Latin and was proficient in writing German and French.
Father Warne's first assignment was to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine, Bronx, New York. In 1957, he was transferred to Monsignor Bonner High School, Drexel Hill, Pa, and then in 1958, to Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, D.C. where he taught English, Math and Religion. In 1960, he returned to Monsignor Bonner High School, as a teacher of Religion and English, and then, in 1966, became a professor of Religious studies at Villanova University, Villanova, Pa. until he became ill in 1994. Father Warne was known for his achievements as chaplain in the Knights of Columbus for thirty-five years, and was a Fourth Degree member. He was also involved in weekend retreats for lay people, especially at Malvern Retreat House, Malvern, Pa. A noted orator and preacher in the
Delaware Valley area, he was always available for those who desired his counseling. Throughout his priestly-religious career he was active in school organizations such as glee club, drama club and music comedy. He became proficient at the piano, organ, guitar and saxophone and, while at Bonner High School, he attended the conservatory of music for a period of three years.
His quick precise wit and hilarious quips were incorporated into his writings, homilies and lively conversations. To the very end of his life, Father Jim's faith in God, his light-hearted spirit, and sense of humor were inspirational.
He passed over to the Lord on September 28, 1996. A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on October 2 and interment was conducted at the Augustinian section of Calvary Cemetery in Conshohocken, Pa.