1896 – 1955 (September 1)
John B. Martin, son of James Martin and Maria Slaughter, was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts on November 29, 1896 and was baptized there in the Church of Saint Laurence O’Toole. He entered the novitiate at Villanova, Pennsylvania on June 23, 1916, and professed simple vows on June 24, 1917. He was solemnly professed on June 27, 1920, and was ordained to the priesthood at Villanova by Bishop Crane on September 23, 1923.
The following year Father Martin was assigned to Colegio San Agustin in Havana, Cuba, and then at Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish on Staten Island, New York. From 1932 to 1938, he was a member of the Province Mission Band. In 1938, he returned to Cuba where he served at prior and rector of San Agustin. In 1941, he was named prior and pastor of Saint James Parish, Carthage; in 1944, of Immaculate Conception Parish, Hoosick Falls; and in 1947, of Saint Mary’s, Lawrence. In 1950, Father Martin was assigned as prior and pastor of Saint John, Schaghticoke in New York, and in 1953, of Saint Augustine's in Lawrence, Massachusetts.
While on a call to visit a sick parishioner at Worcester Hospital, Father Martin died suddenly of a heart attack in the vestibule of the hospital on September 1, 1955 at the age of 59. His Funeral Mass was celebrated at Saint Augustine Parish, Lawrence, Father Patrick Campbell, O.S.A. on September 5th. Father James Hurley, O.S.A. was the eulogist. Father Martin is buried in Saint Mary's Cemetery, Lawrence.