1870 – 1943 (December 5)
John Francis Medina, son of Francis Medina and Mary Frawley, was born in Indianapolis, IN, on May 27, 1870. His family later moved to Saint Augustine's Parish, Philadelphia, PA., and from there John began studies at Villanova Preparatory School, Villanova, PA at the age of 12. He entered the novitiate at Villanova on August 28, 1887 and professed simple vows on September 2, 1888. He was solemnly professed on September 4, 1892. John pursued philosophical and theological studies at Villanova, and was ordained to the priesthood on his 23rd birthday, May 27, 1893, by Archbishop Patrick Ryan in the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, Philadelphia.
Father Medina was appointed in 1893 to Villanova College where he taught music, was organist and directed the choir at Saint Thomas of Vilanova Church. He also organized many musical groups in Philadelphia and the suburbs, offered organ recitals and established the college glee club. In 1902, he was transferred to Colegio San Agustin, Havana, Cuba, where he served for one year before being assigned in 1903, to Lawrence, Massachusetts. Assignments follwed at Saint Rita Church, Philadelphia, from 1911 to 1914, and then at Saint John's, Schaghticoke, Saint Patrick, Cambridge and Saint Paul, Mechanicville, all in New York. He also served on the mission band for a short time.
In 1914, Father Medina was transferred to Saint Rita High School in Chicago, IL, where he was professor of music. In 1929, until his death, he was an assistant at the Church of Our Mother of Good Counsel, Bryn Mawr, PA.
After a long illness, Father Medina died at Price Nursing Home, Whitemarsh, PA, on December 5, 1943 at the age of 73. The Funeral Mass was offered by Father Joseph Hickey, O.S.A. at Villanova. Father Joseph Dougherty, O.S.A. preached. Father Medina was an accomplished musician who made use of his talent in all of the places where he ministered. He is buried at Villanova in the Community Cemetery.