1867 – 1931 (July 3)
John Joseph Nugent was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts on June 1, 1867 to Maurice Nugent and Mary Moriarty. He was baptized the following day at Saint Mary’s Church in that city by Father Louis Edge, O.S.A. Following his early education, he entered the novitiate at Villanova, Pennsylvania, on July 5, 1886, professed simple vows on July 6, 1887, and solemn vows on the same date in 1890. He was ordained to the priesthood by Archbishop Ryan in the Philadelphia Cathedral on September 12, 1890.
Father Nugent was assigned, following ordination, to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Atlantic City, New Jersey. In November, 1894, he was transferred to Our Mother of Good Counsel Parish, Bryn Mawr, and in April, 1895, to Saint Denis Parish in Ardmore, PA. The following year he was assigned to the Province Mission Band, and in 1902 returned to Saint Denis as rector. Father Nugent was appointed pastor of the Bryn Mawr Parish in 1906 and remained there until he was named rector at Saint Augustine Parish, Andover, Mass. In 1918. In 1926 he returned as prior to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine in Atlantic City.
Father Nugent, who for much of his life was partly blind, died in London, England, on July 3, 1931 at the age of 64. His body was returned to the United States and buried at Villanova in the Community Cemetery.