1909 – 1988 (August 15)
John William Tuohy was born in Tompkinsville, Staten Island, New York, on July 7, 1909 to Patrick Tuohy and Catherine Murray. He had three brothers and three sisters. Baptized at Saint Peter's Church, he attended the parish grammar school from 1916 to 1924, He enrolled in Augustinian Academy on Staten Island and, influenced by the friars in the Parish of Our Mother of Good Counsel and at the Academy, he became a postulant in 1926. After graduation in 1928, he made his novitiate at Our Mother of Good Counsel, New Hamburg, New York, and professed simple vows on September 10, 1929. He did his philosophy studies at Saint Mary's Hall, on the campus of Villanova College, there professed solemn vows on September 10, 1932, and graduated with a B.A, degree in June 1933. His theological studies took place at Augustinian College in Washington, D.C., while his summers were devoted toward pursuing a master's degree in education at the Catholic University of America. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 9, 1936, at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington. The following year, 1937, Father Tuohy received his M.A.
Father Tuohy's first assignment was to Villanova Preparatory School, Ojai, California, where from 1937 to 1946 he taught a variety of subjects and was director and coach of the sports program. His next assignment was to Villanova, Pennsylvania, where he was a professor, dorm proctor, and for a time, served as dean of the freshman class. In 1951 he entered parochial ministry at Our Mother of Good Counsel Parish, Bryn Mawr, PA., as assistant pastor. In 1961 he was assigned to Saint Joseph's Parish, Greenwich, New York as vicar, and later as pastor and prior. He directed the restoration of the parish house, which had been damaged by fire. In 1962 Father Tuohy was appointed prior and pastor of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine in Jamaica, New York, and while there oversaw the building of the new church and friary, as well as additions to the parish school. In 1968 he returned to Our Mother of Good Counsel Parish in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, as prior of the community and assistant pastor. In 1980 he retired, but chose to remain at the parish, and, although limited by failing eyesight, continued to assist in the parish and care for the elderly at Bryn Mawr Hospital. He passed away in his sleep on the feast of the Assumption, August 15, 1988.
Father Tuohy is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.