1917 – 1981 (December 5)
Joseph A. Toscani, OSA, was born on April 18, 1917, in Philadelphia, PA. He attended Saint Edmund's Church and Parish School, Philadelphia, PA. In September 1932 he entered Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, NY, as a postulant and became a novice in 1936. He professed first vows in 1937. He then went to Villanova College, (1937-1941), and Augustinian College, Washington, DC, for his theological studies, (1941-1945). He was ordained to the priesthood on May 18, 1944.
Fr. Toscani was first assigned to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Philadelphia, PA, (1945-1948). He then was assigned to Our Lady of Pompeii Parish, Vineland, NJ, as pastor, (1948-1961), where he built Rosary Hall and supervised the construction of the mission church in Milmay, NJ. From 1961 to 1967 he served as Prior and teacher at Saint Augustine Preparatory School, Richland, NJ. In 1967 he was assigned as prior to Saint Mary Parish, East Vineland, NJ, (1967-1981), and became pastor of the parish in 1970, where he made extensive renovations to parish facilities and enriched the spiritual and social life of the parishioners through many new initiatives. When Fr. Angelo Allegrini died suddenly in 1972, Fr. Toscani was appointed to finish the term as Vice Provincial. In 1974 he was elected as Vice Provincial and reelected in 1978 to a second term, (1978-1982). During his 32 years of service in the Diocese of Camden, Fr. Toscani was very active in parochial ministry, attending to the spiritual and material welfare of the parishes entrusted to him. He was appointed as diocesan consultor several times, beginning in 1966. Fr. Joe was well known and loved for his great sense of humor and generous hospitality. On December 5, 1981, as he was preparing to celebrate the parish evening Mass, he became ill and passed away shortly later that day. He was 64 years old. Among his other relatives, he was survived by his brother, Fr. Peter Toscani, OSA, who celebrated his funeral. Fr. Joseph Toscani was interred in the Augustinian section of Saint Mary Parish Cemetery, East Vineland, NJ.