1887 – 1970 (June 16)
Luke Michael Powers was born October 12, 1887 in Northampton, Massachusetts to Luke Powers and Bridget Burke. He was baptized October 15, 1887 in St. Mary’s Church there. Luke was received into the novitiate July 4, 1905 at Villanova, Pennsylvania, and professed simple temporary vows on July 5, 1906. He was solemnly profesed on July 6, 1909. He earned a B. A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, in 1909, and pursued theological studies in Rome, Italy. He was ordained to the priesthood on July 25, 1912.
Father Powers was appointed assistant pastor of St. Rita Parish, Philadelphia, from 1913 to 1917. He taught at Villanova College from 1918 to 1920, while also serving as sub-prior of the Augustinian community there. From 1920 to 1926 Father was assigned to parish ministry in Detroit, Michigan. In 1926 he became assistant pastor of St. Mary Parish, Lawrence, Massachusetts, where he also served as sub-prior. Father Powers was transferred in 1929 to St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan, where he was Pastor for the next 37 years. He also served several terms as prior of the Augustinian community in Flint.
Because of ill health, he retired in 1966. He died June 16, 1970 of congestive heart failure and a pulmonary embolism. When a new centralized Catholic high school, replacing seven smaller Catholic schools, was opened in Flint in the Autumn of 1970, it was named The Luke M. Powers Catholic Education Center in recognition of his long ministry to the people of Flint.
He was originally buried at St. Mary's Hall Cemetery, Villanova. When that cemetery was relocated to the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, Father Powers' body was transferred there.