1918 – 2001 (September 15)
William Joseph Krupa, son of George Krupa and Elsie Johns, was born on July 30, 1918 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He attended the parochial schools of Sacred Heart, Lancaster; Saint Mary's, Harrisbug; Saint Michael, Wheeling, WV, and then Central High School in Wheeling for one year, and Central Catholic High School in Lancaster for three years. He entered Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, N.Y., in 1935. On September 9, 1936 he entered the novitiate at New Hamburg, N.Y., where he professed first vows on September 10, 1937. He made his solemn profession on September 10, 1940. He then studied philosophy at Villanova and graduated with a bachelor's degree in 1941. He pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., from 1941 to 1945, and was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop McNamara at Trinity College Chapter, Washington, on May 18, 1944. After ordination he pursued graduate studies in speech and drama at the Catholic University of America and obtained the master's degree in 1945.
Father Krupa was assigned in June, 1945, to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, PA, but a month later was transferred to Saint Mary's Hall, Villanova, as procurator and sacristan, and in 1950, became sub-master of professed students there. In 1956 he was assigned to Saint Laurence O'Toole, Lawrence, MA, as associate pastor. Three years later, he was transferred again to Saint Mary's Hall, and appointed master of professed students. In 1962 he was appointed master of novices at Our Mother of Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, NY. He was elected a councilor of the province in 1968 and once more assigned to Saint Mary's Hall, Villanova. From 1969 to 1972 he was pastor of Saint Genevieve Parish, Flourtown, PA, and from 1972 to 1978, pastor of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Bronx, NY. In 1979 he was appointed prior and pastor of Saint Thomas of Villanova parish, Rosemont, PA, and in 1986, prior and associate pastor of Saint Augustine Parish, Philadelphia. Father Krupa was appointed to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Atlantic City, NJ, as prior and associate pastor in 1990, and in 1994, was assigned as prior of Saint Augustine Parish, Philadelphia. Due to declining health he was transferred on August 28, 2001, to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova. He died there on September 15, 2001
Father Krupa was at his best in teaching literature, especially Shakespeare, and directing theater. He was always sensitive to the needs of people and endeared himself to many by his pleasant and warm personality. He exemplified well the ideals of Augustinian life through devotion to prayer and appreciation of nature and the beauty of creation.
His Funeral Mass took place on September 18, 2001, at Saint Thomas Church, Villanova. He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA. His brother, Father George Krupa, O.S.A., was also a member of our Province.