Richard G. Cannuli, O.S.A.

Richard G Cannuli

1947 – 2019 (August 6)

Richard Gerald Cannuli, was born on February 2, 1947, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the only child of Anthony Cannuli and Marianna Naimoli. He was baptized on March 23, 1947 at Saint Thomas Aquinas Church, Philadelphia, attended the parish grade school and Bishop Neumann High School. He entered the Augustinian Program for Lay Brothers in New Hamburg, New York, on September 8, 1967, and was received as a novice on August 27, 1969. He professed simple vows on August 28, 1970 after which he attended Villanova University, which awarded him a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1973. He professed solemn vows on October 28, 1973 at Saint Rita Shrine, Philadelphia.   

Brother Richard was assigned in 1973 to Monsignor Bonner High School. In 1978, he was transferred to Mount Augustine Apostolic Center, Staten Island, New York, and pursued graduate studies at the Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, where he received a Master of Fine Arts degree. He returned to Saint Joseph Friary, Drexel Hill, and taught at Villanova University. In 1981, he was transferred to the Villanova Monastery, and in 1990, to Saint Thomas of Villanova Friary, Villanova.  

As he continued his religious journey, Brother Richard discerned a call to the priesthood.  He was ordained on October 30, 1999 at Saint Thomas of Villanova Church, Villanova, by Louis A. DeSimone, Auxiliary Bishop of Philadelphia. In 2010, he was granted faculties to minister also within the Maronite Rite of the Church.

In 1985, he began formal training with a Master Iconographer and his icons were commissioned by parishes, communities and private individuals. One of these was presented to Pope Francis at the opening Mass of the Augustinian General Chapter of 2013 in Saint Augustine Church, Rome, Italy. Father Richard exhibited his works in foreign countries as well as throughout the United States, designing and working with a variety of media. One of his last projects was the design of a series of windows for Corr Chapel at Villanova. He generously enriched and enhanced the world for others through his artistry, lectures and workshops.

Father Richard was taken ill during the summer of 2019. His disease progressed very rapidly, resulting in his death at Saint Thomas Monastery in the early hours of Tuesday, August 6, 2019, the Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord. Father Michael Di Gregorio, O.S.A., Prior Provincial celebrated the Funeral Liturgy at Saint Thomas of Villanova Church on Saturday, August 10, 2019 with Father Donald Reilly, O.S.A. as homilist. Father Richard is buried in Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA.

Anthony M. Genovese, O.S.A.

Anthony M Genovese.png

1946 – 2019 (July 21)

Anthony Michael Genovese was born on October 27, 1946, on Staten Island, New York, the son of Anthony Genovese and Margaret McCloskey. He attended the Academy of Saint Dorothy from 1950 to 1954, and Saint Anne Parish School, from 1954 to 1959. In 1961 he enrolled at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, and was received into the Order of Saint Augustine as a novice on September 9, 1965. He professed simple vows at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York on September 10, 1966 and then attended Villanova University, where he received his BA in Philosophy in 1970. He pursued theological studies at the Washington Theological Union from 1970 until 1973 and professed solemn vows on October 12, 1970. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 16, 1973, at Our Mother of Consolation Church, Chestnut Hill, PA., by Bishop Walter Sullivan, Bishop of Richmond, Virginia. 

Father Mickey was assigned to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Bronx, New York, as parochial assistant. From there, he coordinated The Marriage Encounter Movement on Staten Island, New York. In 1977, he was assigned to Assumption/Saint Paul Parish, Mechanicville, New York, first as parochial assistant, and then as pastor, from 1978 to 1983. In 1983, he returned to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Bronx, New York, as pastor, where he served on various community boards, and in 1986, was elected Chair of the Board of the University Heights Development Corporation. 

In September 1986, Father Mickey was appointed Pastor of Saint Thomas of Villanova Parish, Villanova. As pastor, he oversaw the complete renovation of the campus church in 1993. From 1994 to 2006, he preached parish renewals and workshops around the United States with the theme: “Believe the Good News…We Are Loved.” In 2006, he was appointed prior of Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, with responsibility for the health care of the elder and infirm friars of the Province of Saint Thomas of Villanova.

Father Mickey was elected Prior Provincial of the Province of Saint Thomas of Villanova, on February 18, 2010, and was installed in this office on June 16th, during the Ordinary Provincial Chapter. Following the Provincial elections of 2014, he retired due to health concerns and continued to reside at Saint Thomas of Villanova Monastery, where he died suddenly on Sunday, July 21, 2019.

Father Mickey’s physical stature and booming voice, which he used to great advantage in his preaching ministry, were never able to conceal his warm and outgoing personality, nor a heart motivated by devotion and care especially for the weak and needy. He passed away suddenly on Sunday, July 21, 2019 in his room at Saint Thomas Monastery, after several years of declining health and repeated surgeries.

The Funeral Mass was celebrated on July 25, 2019 in Saint Thomas of Villanova Church by Father Michael Di Gregorio, O.S.A., Prior Provincial. Father Gary McCloskey, O.S.A., Father Mickey’s cousin, was the homilist. Burial took place the following morning in Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA.

John F. McAtee, O.S.A.

John F McAtee.png

1940 – 2019 (May 21)

John Francis McAtee was born on January 26, 1940, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the son of Francis A. McAtee and Dorothy Johnson, and was baptized on February 11, 1940, at Transfiguration Church. He attended Saint Alice Parish School, Upper Darby, Saint Cyril Parish School, E. Lansdowne and, from 1953 to 1957, Msgr. Bonner High School, Drexel Hill. He was received into the Order as a novice on September 9, 1957, and after a year at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York, he professed simple vows on September 10, 1958. He then attended Villanova University, and received his BA in Philosophy in 1962. He professed solemn vows on September 10, 1961, and was sent to Collegio Santa Monica, Rome, for his theological education, where he received the STL. He was ordained in the chapel of Santa Monica on February 12, 1966 by Cardinal Amleto Cicognani.

Father Jack was assigned to teach at Archbishop Carroll High School for one year. In 1967 he volunteered for the Province’s mission in Japan and attended language school in Tokyo before being appointed in 1969 associate pastor of Saint Monica Parish, Nagoya. In 1971 he was assigned as associate pastor at Our Mother of Consolation Parish, Nagasaki, where he also taught religion and English in the parochial school. In 1979, Father Jack was named pastor of Saint Augustine Church, Tokyo, and in 1981, pastor of Saint Monica Parish, Nagoya. In 1982, he was appointed pastor and teacher in Nagasaki and served in those roles until 1983. He remained in Nagasaki as head of the Sei Maria School, however until 1989. From 1989 to 1993 he was assigned to Fukuoka, as associate pastor of Saint Augustine Parish and headmaster of the kindergarten.

In 1993, after 25 years in Japan, Father Jack returned to the United States and was assigned to campus ministry at Villanova University. From 1993 to 1998, and again from 2007 to 2009, he was a member of the Saint Augustine Friary Community, and from 1998 to 2006 was prior of Saint Thomas Monastery. In 2006 he was assigned to Saxony Hall, Rosemont. With a missionary heart still active and alert, he volunteered for the mission in South Africa and served there from 2009 to 2014. In April 2014 he returned to the United States and was assigned to Saint Augustine Friary, Villanova. On July 20, 2015, he was transferred to Saint Mary’s Friary in Waterford, New York, as parochial vicar for Saint Mary’s and Saint Augustine Parish, Troy.

Father Jack passed away suddenly at Saint Mary’s Friary on May 21, 2019. He had been a certified acupressure practitioner since 1995 and a Tai Chi practitioner and teacher since 1997. He could often be seen practicing Tai Chi, to the surprise and pleasure of passersby, on the lawn outside the communities where he lived.

A Requiem Mass was celebrated at Saint Mary’s, Waterford, on Saturday, May 25, 2019. Prior Provincial Michael Di Gregorio, O.S.A. was celebrant of the Funeral Mass at Villanova on Tuesday, May 28, 2019. Father Liam O’Doherty, O.S.A. was homilist. Burial followed in Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA.

George P. Magee, O.S.A.

George P. Magee

1940 – 2019 (April 7)

George Patrick Magee was born in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, on December 22, 1940, the youngest of three children of James Cyril Magee and Catherine Louise Starkey. He was baptized at Saint Coleman’s Church, Ardmore, Pennsylvania and attended Saint Coleman’s Elementary School, Wynnewood Road Elementary School and Ardmore Junior High School. George entered Archbishop Prendergast High School for Boys, later renamed Monsignor Bonner High School, graduating in 1958. In 1959, George became a post-graduate student at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York. He entered Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York in 1959, professing simple vows on September 10, 1960. Following profession, he undertook philosophical studies at Villanova University and received his BA in 1964. On September 10th of that year he professed solemn vows. Following theological studies in Washington, D.C., he received an MA from Catholic University in 1969. George was ordained to the priesthood on June 1, 1968 at Saint Denis Church, Havertown, Pennsylvania by Bishop Joseph Mary Yuen, DD.

In 1968 Father Magee was assigned to Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, D.C. In 1973 he was transferred to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine High School, Bronx, New York, where he was also sub-prior of the community. Subsequent assignments were to Mount Augustine Retreat House, Staten Island, Assumption Parish, Mechanicville, Saint Laurence O’Toole Parish, Lawrence, Massachusetts, Resurrection of Our Lord Parish, Dania, Florida, Saint Rita Parish, Philadelphia, and Our Mother of Good Counsel Parish, Hollywood, California. From 1981 to 1987, he was stationed at Saint Thomas of Villanova Monastery, Villanova. Following a brief leave of absence, he was assigned in 1988 to Saint Joseph Friary at Msgr. Bonner High School. In 1992 he returned to Saint Thomas of Villanova Monastery, Villanova.

Father Magee received an MS degree from Biscayne College in 1977 and an SC. D from Northeastern College. As a certified addictions specialist, he held positions in both California, and Pennsylvania. He was also a criminal justice specialist at the Community Outreach Center, Philadelphia, and directed a private practice in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania.

Father Magee loved story-telling, genealogy and all things Italian, especially Italian cuisine. His listening skills drew many people to him and his attention toward those who struggled to find purpose in life was an important concern of his ministry.

In March 2019 Father George was hospitalized for a brief time and then began rehabilitation. He suffered cardiac arrest on Sunday morning, April 7, 2019 and died in Einstein Montgomery Medical Center, East Norriton, PA. His Funeral Mass was offered by Prior Provincial Michael Di Gregorio, O.S.A. on April 12, 2019.  Father Francis Devlin, O.S.A. preached the homily. Burial was in Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA.

Father George is survived by his sister Joan Marie DiBerardino and her family.

Alfred J. Ellis, O.S.A.

Alfred J Ellis.png

1933 – 2019 (April 4)

Alfred J. Ellis was born on December 8, 1933, in Carthage, New York, the son of Toufic Ellis and Angèle Hobeiche. He had two sisters and three brothers, one of whom, Kail C. Ellis, is also a member of our Province. Al was baptized in Saint James the Minor Church, Carthage, New York, and his elementary and high School education took place at the Augustinian Academy, Carthage. Al entered the Order as a novice in 1954 and after a year at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York, professed simple vows on September 10, 1955. He then went to Villanova University where he received a BA in Philosophy in 1959. He professed Solemn Vows on September 10, 1958, and pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, DC, receiving an MA in Religious Education in 1963. He was ordained to the priesthood on February 9, 1963, at the Saint James the Minor Parish, Carthage, by Bishop Stanislaus Brzana.

In September 1963, Father Al was assigned to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Jamaica, New York. From 1964 to 1968, he ministered at Immaculate Conception Parish, Hoosick Falls, New York. In August 1968 he was assigned to Holy Rosary Parish, Lawrence, Massachusetts and the following year to Saint Mary Parish, in the same city. In August 1971 he was appointed director of novices at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, and afterwards from 1975 to 1979 served in his home parish of Saint James the Minor Church, Carthage. From 1979 to 1985 he was assigned to Saint Augustine Parish, Troy, New York, and the following year was a member of the formation team at Good Counsel Novitiate, Lawrence. When the novitiate was relocated to Racine, Wisconsin, in 1986, Father Al moved to Our Mother of Good Counsel Monastery, North Andover, Massachusetts. In 1988 he was assigned to Assumption/Saint Paul Parish, Mechanicville, New York, where he served until 1991 and then at Immaculate Conception Parish, Hoosick Falls, New York. From here he was assigned to Saint Augustine Parish, Andover, Massachusetts beginning in 1993.

Father Al volunteered for ministry in the Province’s foreign missions in Botha Hill, South Africa in 2005 and remained there until 2008. He returned to the United States and served once again at Saint Augustine Parish, Troy. On December 14, 2011, he retired to Saint Thomas of Villanova Monastery, Villanova.

Father Al Ellis was a gentle man who often displayed a playful spirit in the company of his fellow friars. He was precise, orderly, prayerful and responsible in all of his duties and in his retirement years in the Villanova Monastery enjoyed the companionship of his religious brothers and the attentiveness of the nursing staff. He passed away on Thursday evening, April 4, 2019. He was 85 years old and was a professed member of the Order for 63 years and a priest for 56 years. His Funeral Mass was offered on Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at Saint Thomas Church, Villanova. Father Michael Di Gregorio, O.S.A. was celebrant and Father Kail Ellis, O.S.A. preached the homily. Father Al was buried at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA.

Brian S. Lowery, O.S.A.

Brian S Lowery.png

1941 – 2019 (February 23)

Brian Sylvester Lowery was born on October 24, 1941, in Philadelphia, PA, the son of Sylvester J. Lowery and Patricia Galen. He was baptized on November 30, 1941, at Saint Athanasius Church, Philadelphia and attended Melrose Academy, Melrose Park, PA from 1946 to 1949, and Waldron Academy, Merion, PA from 1949 until 1955. He then attended Malvern Preparatory School from which he graduated in 1959. After one year of studies at the University of Pennsylvania, he was received as a novice on September 9, 1960 and following his year at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, NY, professed simple vows on September 10, 1961. He then began studies at Villanova University and received a BA degree in Philosophy in 1964, after which he pursued theological studies at the Augustinian Patristic Institute, Rome, and received an STL in 1968. He had professed solemn vows on September 10, 1964 in Rome and was ordained to the priesthood in the chapel of the Collegio Santa Monica, Rome, on December 16, 1967 by Amleto Cardinal Cicognani. Following ordination, he continued graduate studies in Rome at the Pontifical Oriental Institute from 1968 until 1972. 

In 1972, Father Brian returned to the United States and was assigned to Our Mother of Good Counsel Monastery and taught at Merrimack College, North Andover, MA, until 1974, He then was appointed Director of Formation at Augustinian College, Washington, DC. In 1979, he returned to Rome as prior of the Collegio Santa Monica. During his term of office, he oversaw the renovation of the collegio, defended his dissertation and was awarded an STD by the Gregorian University in 1985. In 1987, he returned to the United States and to Merrimack College where he was engaged in campus ministry. During the General Chapter of 1989, he was elected General Counselor and took up residence in the Augustinian General Curia, Rome, until the completion of his term in 1995.

In 1995, Father Brian was instrumental in the conversion of the friary of Sant’Agostino in San Gimignano, Italy, into a house of hospitality and retreat. He was to remain there for the rest of his life, welcoming friars and lay men and women for periods of rest, recollection and renewal. Other friars joined him in this ministry from various circumscriptions of the Order. Father Brian was also heavily engaged in preaching retreats on Augustinian themes, particularly on the Confessions of Saint Augustine. 

On February 23, 2019 Father Brian Lowery, after an extended stay in the Clinic Villa del Rosario, Rome, suffered heart failure and passed over to the Lord. His funeral was held on Monday afternoon, February 25th in San Gimignano, Italy. A Memorial Mass offered at Saint Thomas of Villanova Church, Villanova, on March 9, 2019. He is buried in Calvary Cemetry, West Conshohocken.

Father Brian is survived by a sister, Fiona Foster, and her family.

Walter J. Quinn, O.S.A.

Walter J Quinn.png

1930 – 2019 (January 15)

Walter James Quinn was born on August 8, 1930, in Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, one of two sons and a daughter of Walter J. Quinn and Anna Haas. He was baptized at Saint Charles Borromeo Church, Drexel Hill, PA, and attended both Saint Charles and Saint Andrew Parish Schools. He entered West Catholic High School, Philadelphia, and later the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, where he obtained a BS in Economics. He served in the United States Army from 1952 to 1954, during the Korean War. Once discharged from the service, he worked as a salesman before entering Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York on September 9, 1955. He professed simple vows on September 10, 1956 and then attended Villanova University for Philosophical studies and, in 1958, moved to Augustinian College, Washington, DC, where he obtained an MA in Religious Education. He also pursued Graduate Studies in International Law at the Catholic University of America. He professed solemn vows on September 10, 1959, and was ordained to the priesthood on June 3, 1961, at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, DC, by Bishop Philip Hannan.

Father Quinn’s first assignment was to Saint John Sahagun Friary, Washington, DC. He then served in parochial ministry as an associate pastor at Our Mother of Consolation Parish, Chestnut Hill, PA from 1963 to 1968; Saint Genevieve Parish, Flourtown, PA from 1968 to 1975; Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Bronx, New York, for the year 1977-1978; Saint Thomas of Villanova Parish, Rosemont, PA from 1979 to 1982; Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, Staten Island, New York, 1982 until 1985; and Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Atlantic City, New Jersey, from 1985 until 1990. Twice during his years in parochial ministry, Father Quinn served as pastor: first as Immaculate Conception Parish, Hoosick Falls, New York, from 1975 until 1977; and from 1990 until 1997 at Saint Augustine Parish, Philadelphia. In that latter year Father volunteered to assist the Canadian Province and was stationed at Saint Augustine Monastery, in the town of Monastery, Nova Scotia. He then returned to Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, Staten Island, for one year as associate pastor.

In 1999, Father Quinn was assigned to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, and began full-time work with Priests for Life. In this ministry he traveled throughout the United States visiting Catholic and Protestant grade schools, high schools, colleges, church groups, chanceries, and parishes promoting and defending all life issues. In his years at Saint Thomas Monastery, Father Quinn found great pleasure in painting, through which he exercised a long-hidden talent and added to the collection of Augustinian artists whose works adorn the monastery corridor walls.

Father Quinn passed away on January 15, 2019 at Villa Saint Joseph, Flourtown, where he was undergoing rehabilitation following surgery. He was 88 years of age and was a professed member of the Order for 62 years, a priest for 57 years.

Michael R. Scuderi, O.S.A.

Michael R Scuderi.png

1966 – 2018 (September 27)

Michael Ralph Scuderi was born on October 6, 1966, in Darby, Pennsylvania, the older of two sons and one daughter of Samuel F. Scuderi and Carmel Ann Brescia. He was baptized at Saint Charles Borromeo Church, Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, on October 30, 1966 and attended Evans Elementary School, Yeadon, Pa., Yeadon Junior High School and Haverford High School. He studied at Villanova University from 1985-1989 where he earned a degree in Commerce and Finance, specializing in Marketing. During that time, he worked, first as manager at a pizzeria, then in the accounting department of a medical systems company in Malvern, Pa., and finally for Mercy Health Systems in Darby, Pa.

Michael entered the pre-novitiate program of the Province at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. where he began studies at the Washington Theological Union. He was received into the Order as a novice on August 15th, 2002, in Racine, Wisconsin. After completing his novitiate year, he professed simple vows on August 10, 2003 at Saint Thomas of Villanova Church, Villanova.

Following profession, he continued his theological studies in Washington until 2007. He professed solemn vows on October 4th of that year, and completed his MDiv degree in Chicago, Illinois, at Chicago Theological Union. He was ordained to the priesthood on October 24, 2009, at Saint Rita of Cascia Shrine, Philadelphia, by Bishop Louis De Simone, an Affiliate of the Order and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

Father Scuderi was assigned in April of 2009 as parochial vicar at Saint Rita of Cascia Parish and Shrine and was appointed treasurer of the local community. Due to health concerns, he was transferred to Saint Thomas of Villanova Monastery, Villanova, on August 1, 2015. While there, he continued his priestly ministry with the Handicapped Encounter Christ Group (HEC), assisting in vocational ministry and celebrating Mass at the Holy Child Convent for retired and infirm Sisters of the Holy Child.   

For almost the entirety of his life, Father Michael suffered from rheumatoid arthritis and was in constant pain. Possessed of a strong will, much patience and a strong religious attitude, he nonetheless strove to live and to minister with a positive spirit and good humor and in this way was a source of encouragement to many others.

Following innumerable hospitalizations, procedures and operations, Father Michael passed over to the Lord in the early hours of September 27, 2018 at Bryn Mawr Hospital, surrounded by his parents and siblings. He was 51 years old and had been a professed religious for fifteen years and a priest for eight. He was survived by his parents, a brother and a sister and many nieces and nephews.

 Father Michael’s Funeral Mass was celebrated on Monday evening, October 1, 2019 in Saint Thomas of Villanova Church, Villanova by Father Joseph Farrell, O.S.A., Vicar General, the brother of Father Michael’s brother-in-law. Father Joseph Genito, O.S.A. preached the homily. Burial took place the following morning in the Augustinian Plot of Clavary Cemetery, West Conshohocken.

Robert M. Burke, O.S.A.

Robert M Burke.png

1927 – 2018 (September 20)

Robert Martin Burke was born on April 18, 1927, in Atlantic City, New Jersey, the son of Thomas A. Burke and Violet Marshall, and was baptized on February 25, 1934 in Saint James Church, Ventnor, New Jersey. He had one brother and two sisters. He attended Saint James Parochial School, Ventnor, from 1933 until 1941, and Holy Spirit High School, Atlantic City, from 1941 until 1945. He then entered the United States Navy and served fourteen months until 1946. Following his discharge from the service, he entered Villanova College and studied civil engineering for three years. In 1950, he applied to the Order and was received as a novice on September 9, 1950. Upon completion of his year at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York, he professed vows on September 10, 1951, and returned to Villanova College where he completed his BS in Physics in June 1952. He then went to Augustinian College, Washington, DC, for theological studies. He professed solemn vows on September 10, 1954, and was ordained to the priesthood on June 4, 1955, at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, DC, by Bishop John McNamara. He earned an MS degree in Physics from the Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, in 1954, and later completed a BS degree in Civil Engineering from Villanova University in 1959.

Father Burke’s first assignment was to Msgr. Bonner High School, Drexel Hill, where he taught from 1956 to 1959. He then taught at Villanova University until 1963 when he returned to Msgr. Bonner High School. In 1974, he was appointed Assistant Director of Admissions and professor at Villanova University. He was assigned to teach at Malvern Preparatory School, Malvern, Pennsylvania during the academic year, 1980-1981, and then to the Augustinian community of Casa San Lorenzo, Miami, Florida, where he worked in Admissions at Biscayne College. In 1988, Father Burke was appointed treasurer at Our Mother of Good Counsel Monastery, Merrimack College, North Andover, Massachusetts, where he worked also in the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. From 1995 to 1996, while continuing his ministry at Merrimack College, he resided at Saint Augustine Parish, Lawrence, Massachusetts, and then returned to Our Mother of Good Counsel Monastery, Merrimack. In 2003, Father Burke was assigned to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova. Despite multiple cancer surgeries, and a severe hearing impairment in his later years, he maintained a very positive attitude and friendly demeanor, and was an avid fan of Villanova and professional sports.

Father Burke passed away in the late afternoon of Thursday, September 20, 2018, at Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, having faithfully served in the educational apostolate of the Province for the entirety of his active ministry. He died at 91 years of age, in the 67th year of his religious profession and the 63rd of priesthood. His Funeral Mass was celebrated on Monday evening, September 24, 2018 in Saint Thomas of Villanova Church, Villanova, PA., by Father Michael Di Gregorio, O.S.A., Prior Provincial. Father James Wenzel, O.S.A. preached the homily. Father Burke was buried the following morning in the Augustinian Plot of Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA.

Michael J. Scanlon, O.S.A.

Michael J Scanlon.png

1937 – 2018 (August 26)

Michael Joseph Scanlon was born on August 1, 1937, in New York, New York, one of three sons and one daughter of Michael J Scanlon and Christine Costello. He was baptized on August 22, 1937 at Saint Anthony Church, Bronx, New York, and attended Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parochial School there from 1943 until 1951. He then enrolled in Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, as a postulant for the Order. He was received as a novice on September 9, 1955, and following a year at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York, he professed simple vows on September 10, 1956. He then attended Villanova University from which he received a BA degree in Philosophy in 1960. While at Villanova, he professed solemn vows in the Order on September 10, 1959. Michael pursued theological studies at the Catholic University of America and obtained the STL in 1964 and the STD in 1969. He was ordained to the priesthood on February 1, 1964 at Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Church, Bronx, by Bishop John McGuire, Auxiliary of New York.

Father Scanlon’s first assignment was as teacher of Latin at Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, DC. In 1965 he was assigned to Augustinian College, Washington, where he taught theology for three years until he became a founding faculty member of the Washington Theological Coalition, (later, renamed the Washington Theological Union), a school of theology formed to educate students from several religious communities in the area. While continuing in this ministry until 1992, he was assigned in 1977 to the community at Austin Friars Hall, adjacent to Augustinian College. During the year 1988-1989, Father Scanlon was President of the Catholic Theological Society of America. In 1992, he was appointed the Josephine C. Connelly Professor of Christian Theology at Villanova University, first as a member of Saint John Stone Friary, from 1992 until 2005, then Bellesini Friary, Villanova, until 2008, when he returned once more to Saint John Stone Friary. Because of declining health, he requested in 2012 a transfer to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, where he remained until his death on August 26, 2018, in the 61st year of his religious profession and the 54th of priesthood.

Father Scanlon was often called upon to give theological talks and contribute to journals and conferences in his field. His most significant contribution, however, was to the theological education of countless religious and lay students throughout his ministry, especially during his 27 years in Washington, DC. Many of his former students, when encountering an Augustinian, speak glowingly of the influence, during their years of study, of Father Scanlon, and his confrere, close friend, and colleague, Father Edmund Dobbin, O.S.A.

Father Scanlon’s Funeral Mass was celebrated on Friday morning, August 31, 2018 in Saint Thomas of Villanova Church, Villanova, PA. by Father Michael Di Gregorio, O.S.A., Prior Provincial. Father Kail Ellis, O.S.A. was homilist. Father Scanlon was interred in his family’s grace in Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA.

Jerome Bevilacqua, O.S.A.

1937 –          (December 11)

It is with no small blend of sadness mixed with gratitude and joy that the Augustinian Province of St. Augustine in California announces the death of our brother, Rev. Jerome Bevilacqua O.SA. He died December 11th from the ravages of Alzheimer's disease.

Fr. Jerry was born in McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania on August 3, 1937 to Jerome Bevilacqua and Florence (Pinko) Bevilacqua. He was the first of the five Bevilacqua children, including Dale, Frances, David, and Marcia.

Just before becoming a teenager, Fr. Jerry's parents moved their family to San Diego. He graduated from St. John of the Cross School in 1952. Later that year he was introduced to the Augustinians when he entered St. Augustine 's High School. Not long after his graduation, he entered the Augustinian novitiate and professed vows in 1958. He made a solemn profession of vows (life commitment) on February 1, 1961. He was ordained a priest on January 30, 1965.

Jerry loved to learn and always found books to be among his favorite companions. He graduated from Villanova University in 1961, and Augustinian College in 1965. In addition to his love for theology, Fr. Jerry specialized in Library Science.

In the first four years after his ordination, Fr. Jerry ministered as a high school teacher (Villanova Preparatory and St. Augustine's) and parish priest (St. Thomas Aquinas in Ojai.) It was while he was on a year-long retreat (1969-70) at a hermitage in Palestine, Texas that his call to be both a contemplative and an evangelizer was nurtured and affirmed by his Augustinian superiors. In the forty-five years that followed, his ministry led him to an almost continual weekly bible class, the establishment of a retreat and contemplation center at Tierra del Sol, a focus on the healing and (eventual) deliverance ministries, and a spiritual director for a countless number of people. 

Liturgical services for Fr. Jerry will take place on Friday morning, December 16th at St. Patrick's Church in San Diego. A Rosary will be recited at 10:00. The funeral mass will begin at 10:30. Following the liturgy, the burial will take place at Holy Cross cemetery.

Please include in your prayers Fr. Jerry, his sister, nieces and nephews, his caregivers at Stellar Care and Apreva Hospice, the Augustinian family, and all those who ministered with and to him. 

William J. Wynne, O.S.A.

1917 – 2005 (February 2)

William Joseph Wynne, was born to William Wynne and Elizabeth Donovan, on December 31, 1917, in Springfield, Massachusetts. He was baptized on January 20, 1918 at the Church of The Sacred Heart and received his early education at Our Lady of Hope Elementary School and Saint Michael Cathedral High School. In 1936, he became a postulant at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, and on September 9, 1937, was received as a novice at Our Mother of Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, NY. He professed simple vows on September 10, 1938 and made solemn profession on September 10, 1941. In June 1941, he received his A.B. degree from Villanova College and then continued studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained to the priesthood on May 18, 1944 at Trinity College Chapel, Washington. In 1945, he completed his B.S. degree in Library Science at nearby Catholic University.

Father Wynne was assigned to teach at Villanova Preparatory School, Ojai, California in September 1945. The following year, he was appointed assistant Librarian at Villanova College, and a member of the Saint Thomas of Villanova Monastery. In 1947, he was assigned as one of the first members who formed the Augustinian community at the newly founded Merrimack College, North Andover, MA. His particular assignment was within his field of library science and teaching. Over the years Father Wynne studied music literature, music theory and chorus directing at institutions such as Boston University, Newton College and Catholic University. From 1958 to 1962, Father Wynne served in Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish and school in the Bronx, N.Y. While there, he studied at the Manhattan School of Music, where he majored in piano with a minor in voice training, and, in 1961, received his Master of Music degree.

In 1962, he was assigned to teach at Monsignor Bonner High School, Drexel Hill, PA. From 1963 to 1974, he exercised parochial ministry at Saint Mary's Parish, Lawrence, Mass., Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Jamaica, N.Y., and Saint Patrick Parish, Cambridge, N.Y. From 1974 to 1981, he assisted at Mount Augustine Retreat House, Staten Island. From 1981-1987, while a member of the community at Austin Preparatory School, Reading, Mass., he taught private lessons in piano and voice. In 1987 he was assigned as sacristan and librarian of Our Mother of Good Counsel Monastery, Merrimack College, where he also offered piano and voice lessons. 

In January 2005, due to failing health, Father Wynne was transferred to the Healthcare Unit at Saint Thomas of Villanova Monastery, Villanova, PA. He passed away peacefully on February 2, 2005, after a long bout with cancer. At his request he was buried in his family's plot in Saint Michael's Cemetery, Springfield, MA.

In addition to his music skills, Father Wynne had a keen interest in architecture and building construction and had developed a talent for evaluating antiques. He was also noted for his quick wit, humorous story- telling and interest in the history of the Province.

Thomas Wright, O.S.A.

1866 – 1938 (July 30)

Thomas Wright was born on May 10, 1866, in Kilcommon, County Mayo, Ireland, the son of Martin Wright and Mary Henry. He was vested at Villanova, Pennsylvania, on September 18, 1892, and, with a special dispensation granted by Pope Leo XIII, made his novitiate at St. Augustine Church in Philadelphia. He professed first vows there on December 29, 1898, and solemn vows at Our Lady of Good Counsel, Staten Island, on January 3, 1902.

Brother Thomas served at Saint Augustine's in Philadelphia, on Staten Island and in the Bronx, New York, and later at Villanova. He was 72 when he died in Misericordia Hospital in Philadelphia on July 30, 1938. He is buried in the Community Cemetery at Villanova.
 

Edson J. Wood, O.S.A.

1945 – 2014 (April 9)

Edson Jerome Wood was born on September 17, 1946, in Ilion, New York, one of three sons of Edson J. Wood and Marion K. Young. He was baptized on September 28, 1946, at the Church of the Annunciation, Ilion, and attended the parish school there from 1951 to 1956, and Saint Joseph's Parish School, Danbury, Connecticut, from 1956 to 1960. He attended Central Catholic High School, Norwalk, Connecticut, for two years, and Ilion High School, Ilion, N.Y., from 1962 to 1964. He was received into the Order as a novice on September 9, 1964, and after a year at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, N.Y., he professed first vows on September 10, 1965. He attended Villanova University and obtained a BA in Philosophy in 1969. While in the Collegiate Seminary, he served as Master Organist for the Seminary and University, Director of the Seminary Choir, and Coordinator of the Seminary Dramatics Department. He then was assigned to Augustinian College, Washington, DC, where he studied theology at the Catholic University of America, and received the STB and the STL. He professed solemn vows on September 14, 1968. While in the theologate, he taught theology at Archbishop Carroll High School and Latin at The Connelly School of the Holy Child in Potomac, Maryland. He served as keyboard accompanist at Carroll High School and at the Drama Department of Catholic University, and he assisted in preparing the Carroll High School Marching Band for international competition in Ireland and Rome in 1972 and 1973. He also was instrumental in implementing a pilot program for Grounds and Building Maintenance Operations at Carroll. Edson was ordained to the priesthood on June 24, 1972, at the Church of the Annunciation, Ilion, N.Y., by Bishop Edward Maginn, Auxiliary Bishop of Albany, N.Y.

From 1970 to 1979, Father Wood was assigned to Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, DC, where he taught theology and was Dean of Students. From 1979 to 1982, he worked as the Assistant to the President at Catholic University of America, Washington, and from 1982 to 1983, he taught Latin at Good Counsel High School, in Wheaton, Md. From 1983 to 1993, he was assigned to Malvern Preparatory School, where he taught theology, was Director of Student Activities and School Chaplain. In 1984, he accepted the position of Chairman of the Steering Committee for the decennial Middle States' evaluation of Malvern Prep, and successfully guided the school through the year of preparation for the committee's visit in 1985. He was also commissioned a Lieutenant in the Chaplain Corps of the United States Navy in 1985, and was honorably discharged in 1991. Beginning in 1993, he served first as Assistant Chaplain and then as Brigade Chaplain at the United States Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
Fr. Wood was known for his ready smile, youthful enthusiasm, keen sense of humor and friendly personality. His entire religious life was spent in either teaching or ministering to the needs of students in high schools and higher educational institutions. 

He suffered a stroke on Friday, March 21, 2014, and was taken to Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y., where he died on Wednesday, April 9, 2014. A wake was held on Monday, April 14 in St. Thomas of Villanova Church on the campus of Villanova University. The funeral Mass, which followed, was celebrated by Prior Provincial Mickey Genovese, O.S.A. The homilist was Fr. James Flynn, O.S.A. Following the funeral Mass at Villanova, Fr. Wood’s body was taken to the United States Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., where a wake was held at Holy Trinity Catholic Chapel on Monday evening and Tuesday morning. Following the wake service on Tuesday, a funeral Mass was celebrated in the Cadet Chapel. Fr. Wood is buried in the Wood family plot at Armory Hill Cemetery, Ilion, N.Y. 

Frederick J. Winn, O.S.A.

Winn Frederick0003-17.jpeg

1906 – 1962 (April 24)

Frederick John Winn was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts, on March 18, 1906, to Peter Winn and Emma Grandpre. He received his early education at Saint Mary's Grammar School, and then at Lawrence High School, after which he entered Augustinian Academy on Staten Island, New York, as a postulant. In 1929, he was received into the novitiate of Our Mother of Good Counsel in New Hamburg, N.Y. in 1928, and made his profession of simple vows on September 10, 1929, and solemn vows in 1932. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova that same year, and pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 11, 1935 at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington.  

From 1936 until 1950, Father Winn was a teacher at Cascia Hall in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In 1950, he was transferred to Saint Rita's High School in Chicago, IL. Three years later, at the Chapter of 1953, he was elected prior of Saint Mary's in Rockford, IL.In 1956, Father Winn became prior at Mendel High School in Chicago where he died on April 24, 1962 at the age of 56. He is buried in Saint Mary's Cemetery in Lawrence.
 

William G. Wingert, O.S.A.

1904 – 1935 (April 17)

William George Wingert was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on August 12, 1904, the son of Oliver Wingert, a painter, and Catharine Strassner. He was a student at Saint Bonaventure Parochial School in Philadelphia, and at Villanova Prep. For a time he was employed as a clerk. William entered the novitiate at Villanova in 1924, and was professed on June 26, 1925. Solemn profession took place on the same date in 1928. 

William received his Bachelor of Arts degree after completing his studies at Saint Mary's Hall, but he then became seriously ill and was forced to discontinue his training. He spent the years between 1928 and 1935 at White Haven, Pa., Andover, Massachusetts, and at the novitiate in New Hamburg, New York, trying to improve his health.

He died on April 17, 1935, in Norristown State Hospital of pulmonary tuberculosis, at the age of 31. He was buried on April 22nd in the Community Cemetery at Villanova.
 

John F. Wilson, O.S.A.

1905 – 1989 (March 27)

John Francis Wilson was born on August 24, 1905, in Troy, New York, to Guy H. Wilson and Ellen Mackrell. He had four brothers and a sister. Baptized in Saint Augustine Church, Troy, he attended the parish grammar school and for three years Central Catholic High School, also in Troy. In 1922 he applied and was accepted as a fourth year postulant at Saint Rita Hall, Villanova, PA, from which he graduated in 1924. He entered at Our Mother of Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, N.Y., where he professed simple vows on June 24, 1924. Three years later, on June 22, 1927, he professed solemn vows at Saint Mary's Hall, on the campus of Villanova College, from which he graduated with an B.A. degree in philosophy that same year. While at Villanova, he took summer courses in mathematics and physics. Sent to Spain for his theology studies, he was ordained at the Escorial Monastery by Bishop Luciano Pereaz Plutero on July 25, 1930. On his return to the United States, he received an M.A. from Villanova University in 1931.

Father Wilson's first assignments were in the field of education, first at Villanova College where he taught and was a hall prefect, then at San Agustin, Havana, Cuba, where he taught and perfected his skills in the Spanish language. He also taught at Saint Rita High School, Chicago, IL, and at Cascia Hall, Tulsa, OK. In 1949 he was assigned to Villanova Preparatory School in Ojai, CA. Two years later, in 1951, he received his first parochial assignment to Our Mother of Good Counsel Parish, Los Angeles, CA, where he helped to set up a mission church for the growing parish. In 1952 he was assigned as assistant pastor to Saint Laurence O'Toole Church, Lawrence, MA, and after four years was transferred to Saint Mary's Church in the same city.

From 1956 to 1969 Father Wilson was assistant pastor and ministered in the Spanish-speaking apostolate at the Immaculate Conception Mission of the parish, and supervised the grammar school and girls' high school. In 1969 he was assigned as pastor to Saint James the Minor Church, Carthage, N.Y., and in 1973 was transferred to Saint John the Baptist Church, Schaghticoke, N.Y., as acting prior. The following year he was assigned to Saint Patrick Church, Cambridge, N.Y., as pastor and remained at Saint Patrick's as assistant pastor following his retirement in 1977.
Father Wilson was an outgoing person with a ready wit and keen sense of humor. He continued even in his years of retirement to exert wide influence. He died on March 27, 1989.

A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on March 30, 1989, at Saint Patrick Church. Father Wilson is buried in the Augustinian plot of Saint John Cemetery, Troy, NY.
 

Henry A. Wierman, O.S.A.

1903 – 1981 (January 13)

Henry Aloysius Wierman, son of Thaddeus K. Wierman and Rose McMaster, was born in McSherrystown, Pennsylvania, on July 3, 1903. After attending Villanova Preparatory School, he entered the novitiate at Villanova on June 21, 1923. He professed simple vows on June 22, 1924, and solemn vows on June 22, 1927. He graduated from Villanova College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1927, and studied theology at Augustinian College in Washington, D.C. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 10, 1930.

For one year after ordination Father Wierman served as a student priest at Villanova College, Villanova, Pa. In 1931 he was sent to Saint Rita Parish, Chicago, IL, where he served as an assistant until 1935, when he was transferred to Saint Rita High School in the same city. When the new Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel was formed in 1941, he was appointed prior at Saint Rita High School, and in 1944, prior at Saint Thomas High School, Rockford, IL. In 1947 he was transferred to Saint Mary's Parish, Rockford, where he served as assistant pastor and councilor of the province.

When Saint Augustine Seminary was opened in Holland, MI, in 1949, Father Wierman was assigned there and served there until the seminary closed in 1977. From then until the time of his death, he lived in retirement at Holy Rosary Parish, Kenosha, WI. He died on January 13, 1981.

Father Henry Wierman was revered for both his candor and his humility. He was well-known as a confessor and gave patient counsel and direction to many of his fellow Augustinians. He touched the young and old, both within and outside the Augustinian community.

Father Wierman is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA.
 

Joseph Whittindale, O.S.A.

Whittendale J-17.jpeg

1815 – 1885 (December 9)

Joseph Whittindale, son of Richard Whittendale and Anastasia White, was born in County Kilkenny, Ireland, on November 6, 1815. He received the habit at Villanova, Pennsylvania, in December, 1845, and was professed on September 8, 1852 together with Brothers Joseph Shea and James O’Brien.

Brother Joseph served at Chestnut Hill, Pa. and Lansingburg, New York. In 1870, he was assigned to Villanova where he served until he died on December 9, 1885, after being struck by a Paoli train on a dark foggy evening. He was 70 years old. Brother Joseph was buried at Villanova in the community cemetery on December 12, 1885.

He is remembered as a man of genial character, bright, lively, very good and pious, cheerful, witty and always good natured and ready to be of service.
 

Norbert W. Whitley, O.S.A.

1910 – 1990 (December 5)

Norbert William Whitley was born on May 10, 1910, to William Whitley and Anna Dolores Ferry in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He had one sister. Both of his parents died while he was quite young, and he and his sister were raised by their aunts and uncles. He attended Fitler Public School, and Saint Francis of Assist Parish School, both in Germantown, and Assisi High School for two years, transferring to North Wales High School from which he graduated in 1928. After graduation he became a traveling salesman for a musical supply company. In September 1931, he was accepted as a postgraduate postulant at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York. The following September he entered Our Mother of Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York, where he pronounced simple vows on September 11, 1933. Three years later, on September 11, 1936, he made solemn profession of vows at Saint Mary's Hall, Villanova, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Villanova College in June of 1937, with an A.B. degree in philosophy. Norbert was sent to Collegio Santa Monica, Rome, Italy, where he began the study of theology at the Gregorian University in the fall of 1937. The growing tensions and outbreak of the Second World War compelled him and other Americans to return home. Before leaving, however, he was ordained a priest on May 25, 1940, at the Church of Saint Ignatius by Archbishop Aloisio Traglia. On his return to this country, he continued his theology studies at Augustinian College, Washington, DC. In 1941 he received an S.T.L degree in theology and in 1949 the S.T.D. from The Catholic University.

Father Whitley's was assigned in 1943 to Augustinian College as professor and submaster of professed. In 1945 he was appointed master of professed, a position he held until 1957. In that year he was transferred to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova University, to serve as chaplain of the University. In 1962 he was elected provincial secretary, as a member of the Saint Thomas of Villanova Parish community, Rosemont, PA. In 1965 he was named prior of the new Saint Mary's Hall, the collegiate seminary. From 1969 to his retirement in 1981 he was engaged in the parochial ministry as pastor of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish in Atlantic City, New Jersey; prior and assistant at Our Mother of Consolation in Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania; prior and pastor of Saint Laurence O'Toole Parish in Lawrence, Massachusetts, and finally assistant at Resurrection of Our Lord in Dania, Florida. In 1981, afflicted with arthritis that over the years had grown worse, he retired to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, until his death.

Father Whitley loved life, and despite his condition his spirits remained high and his outlook cheerful. He enjoyed going to the shore, having a good meal, and hearing or telling a joke. He kept in touch with many of his former students whom he had trainedduring his years as master in Washington as well as the people with whom he had come in contact during his years of parish ministry.

On December 5, 1990, having reached eighty years and celebrated fifty years as a priest, he died peacefully in Bryn Mawr Hospital. Prior Provincial, John Hagen, O.S.A., was the celebrant at the Mass of Christian Burial on December 7, 1990 in the Villanova Church. James Wenzel, O.S.A., was the homilist. Father Whitley is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.