1888 – 1962 (February 5)
Lorenzo A. Andolfi, son of Pietro Andolfi and Elisabetta Marcucci, was born on December 24, 1888, in Roccalvecce, Viterbo, Italy, where he received his early education. When Lorenzo was ten years old his mother died, leaving his father and Don Giovanni Sonni to encourage him in a religious vocation. On September 7, 1903, he entered the Augustinian Novitiate at Carpineto Romano, south of Rome, and professed first vows on December 25, 1904. He studied philosophy at Viterbo, and theology at Saint Monica's International House of Studies in Rome. On July 25, 1911, Lorenzo was ordained to the priesthood by Cardinal Respighi at St. Appollinare Church, Rome.
Between 1911 and 1916, Father Andolfi served as a curate at our parishes of St. Augustine in Siena, and in Rome. Then, from 1916 to 1919, he was a chaplain in the Medical Corps of the Italian Army. In 1919, Father Andolfi became chaplain to the Augustinian Nuns in Cascia, followed by an assignment to the Church of Our Mother of Consolation in Genoa. In 1922, he returned to St. Augustine Parish in Rome and, the following year, was appointed prior of the Augustinian College of the Blessed Trinity in Viterbo.
On October 26, 1926, Father Andolfi sailed from Naples to New York, and was assigned to the Parish of Our Mother of Good Counsel, in Philadelphia. In 1927, he was appointed pastor of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Philadelphia, until 1933, when he was assigned to Our Lady of Pompei, Dobbs Ferry, New York. He also served as commissary provincial for the Philadelphia Vice-Province. In 1935, he was appointed prior and pastor at the Church of the Holy Rosary, in Lawrence, Massachusetts, and remained there until his death in 1962. In 1947, Father Andolfi requested to be affiliated to the Province of Saint Thomas of Villanova, which was granted him by Father Joseph Hickey, Prior General.
While at Holy Rosary Parish, Lawrence, Father Andolfi purchased properties for a Sisters' convent, a parochial school playground and, to accommodate the Italian speaking people of Methuen, Ma., he had a mission church built in honor of Saint Lucy. His energy and generosity were demonstrated in the confessional, at the altar, as an eloquent preacher, in his care for the poor, and his visits to hospitals. Church and city dignitaries recognized the spiritual impact he had upon the greater Lawrence community. Over the years, the presence of Richard Cardinal Cushing, Auxiliary Bishop Jeremiah Minihan of Boston, Governor Volpe of Massachusetts, the local clergy and the general public all bore witness to the dedication and love Father Andolfi had for the people he served. On the occasion of his Golden Jubilee, one of his Holy Rosary Parishioners recorded, "Father Andolfi, seemingly everywhere, ever solicitous for our general welfare, has given us of his resourcefulness, of his health, and of his charity."
After many years of service in the Order, Father died at Bon Secours Hospital, Methuen, Mass., on February 5, 1962. A funeral Mass was celebrated at Holy Rosary Church, Lawrence, and burial followed at St. Mary's Cemetery, Lawrence. Governor Volpe of Massachusetts attended the funeral and the eulogy was preached by Bishop Jeremiah Minihan, Auxiliary of Boston.