1908 – 1975 (March 26)
Henry Louis Daly, was born on April 12, 1908, to Philip Daly and Mary McLoughlin, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania., and was baptized on May 3, 1908, in the Church of Saint Gabriel. He graduated from Saint Thomas Parish School, Rosemont, Pa., and on September 10, 1922, was admitted as a postulant to Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York. He became a novice on August 15, 1926, professed first vows on August 16, 1927, and solemn vows three years later. In June 1931, he received the B.A. degree from Villanova College, Villanova, Pa. Henry studied theology at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., and was ordained to the priesthood on June 12, 1934, by Bishop John M. McNamara, in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
In 1935, Father Daly received his first assignment to Colegio San Agustin, Havana, Cuba, and, for a period of time beginning in 1938, was headmaster of that school. He remained at San Agustin until July 12, 1956, when he became a professor at the Universidad de Santo Tomas in Havana, where he served until 1961. During his years in Cuba Father Daly held the offices of prior, counselor, treasurer and sacristan. In July, 1961, he returned to the United States and became a teacher at Malvern Preparatory School, Malvern, Pa. On November 6, 1962, he was assigned as assistant pastor at Our Mother of Consolation Parish, Chestnut Hill, Pa. In 1964, he was appointed to the parish of the Resurrection of Our Lord Dania, Florida, and on August 9, 1968, was named pastor of that parish.
Father Henry Daly died in Rosemont Manor, Rosemont, on March 26, 1975. Despite a long bout with cancer, Father Daly was an inspiration to many for his strength, humor and peace. A Mass of the Resurrection was celebrated at Saint Thomas of Villanova Church, Villanova. He was buried in the community cemetery adjoining Saint Mary’s Hall, Villanova. His body was later removed to the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pa.