1880 – 1919 (March 28)
Dario Cerruti, son of Innocenzo Cerruti and Rosa Romano, was born on March 3, 1880, in Genazzano, Italy, and entered the Order as a member of the Roman Province. He made his novitiate at the convent of Sant’Agostino in Carpineto Romano, and was professed with the religious name, John, on November 8, 1896, and was ordained in 1903. He immigrated to the United States, arriving on December 31, 1906, with Father Nicola Mucci, O.S.A. and was assigned to the Parish of Our Mother of Good Counsel, Philadelphia, where he worked diligently for a number of years until, at age 32, he was named administrator of the parish’s mission chapel of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine, also in the city.
Due to ill health he resigned this position in 1914, but remained in the parish assisting the new pastor, Father Alfonso Baldassare, O.S.A.. Father Cerruti became seriously ill in November, 1918, and was rushed to Saint Agnes Hospital. Later, he was taken to Our Mother of Good Counsel to recuperate, but died in his sleep on March 28, 1919, at the age of 39. The funeral Mass was celebrated at Our Mother of Good Counsel Church with an overflow of mourners. He was buried in the vault in front of the church, but on July 31, 1956 his remains, together with those of two other friars interred there, were transferred to Saint Mary's Cemetery, East Vineland, New Jersey.