1939 – 1996 (April 18)
John Allan Crosson, son of John E. Crosson and Eleanor Laskey, was born on Staten Island, New York, on December 10, 1939, and was baptized on December 31, 1939 in the Church of St. Paul, Staten Island, where he received his early education. He studied at St. John Baptist de la Salle and Don Bosco Technical High School in Paterson, New Jersey, and on July 15, 1957, entered Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, N.Y., as an oblate. Two years later he began his six month postulancy. On January 24, 1960, John entered the novitiate at New Hamburg, N.Y., professed simple vows on January 25, 1961, and three years later made solemn profession.
In 1961, Brother John received his first assignment to Saint Rita of Cascia Parish in Philadelphia. Three years later he worked at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. In 1964, he served at Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, Pa. after which he spent over ten years at Msgr. Bonner High School, Drexel Hill, Pa., from September 1, 1965 to May 4, 1976. Brother John continued his ministry at Saint James Minor Parish in Carthage, N.Y. followed by an assignment to Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, D.C., from 1977 to 1981. From August 1981 to September 1985, he assisted at the Augustinian Retreat Center, Staten Island, N.Y. In 1985, he was transferred to Saint Augustine Church, Philadelphia, and then returned to his first assignment, Saint Rita of Cascia Parish in Philadelphia, Pa.
Before he entered the religious life Brother John had expressed a desire to be a sacristan, and close to the Lord in the Eucharist and through common prayer. He was a help to all the communities to which he was assigned by offering his talents and by performing all his duties with dedication. As one man wrote of Brother John, "He was a courageous, honest and straightforward person. Faithful to the Church and Augustinian Order, he faced life with a spirit of faith, trust, and hope."
Brother John Crosson died at the age of 56 on April 18, 1996. On April 23, 1996, a Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, Staten Island, N.Y. He was buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pa.