1921 – 1978 (June 18)
William Michael Cusick was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, on December 29, 1921, to William M. Cusick and Mary Higgens. He was baptized on January 1, 1922, in the Church of St. Joseph, Minooka, Pa. He attended public grammar schools and Central High School in Scranton, Pa., graduating in June 1939. While in high school he was a member of the band, the baseball team and the French club. On October 12, 1942, after a few years of employment, he enlisted in the United States Army and served outside the continental limits of the United States from May 24, 1943 to August 11, 1945. On November 2, 1945, he was honorably discharged as a technician fourth grade. A year later he enrolled at Villanova College in the school of Chemical Engineering. On September 9, 1948, he was received into the Novitiate of Our Mother of Good Counsel, New Hamburg, New York, professed first vows on September 10, 1949 and then returned to Villanova, where, In June 1950, he received his B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering. He began his studies in theology at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., and made solemn profession on September 10, 1952. On June 6, 1953, William was ordained to the priesthood by John M. McNamara, D.D., in the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, D.C., and offered his first Mass in the church of St. Joseph, Minooka. In June 1954, Father Cusick completed his courses at Catholic University, Washington, D.C., earning his M.S. degree in Chemistry.
In August, 1954, Father Cusick received his first assignment to Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, D.C., where he chaired the Science Department, for ten years taught Physics and Chemistry and served as a Guidance Director and sacristan. He also established various science clubs. On August 19, 1966, he was assigned to Austin Preparatory School, Reading, Massachusetts, where he was chairman of the Science Department, taught physics and chemistry, and founded the Radio and Astronomy clubs. He was also Dean of Discipline. From 1969 to 1972, he assisted the Archdiocese of Boston in parochial assignments and as teacher at St. Sebastian's Day School, Brighton, Mass. On June 26, 1972, he temporarily left school work and became an associate pastor at St. Laurence O'Toole parish in Lawrence, Mass. While there Father Bill underwent major open-heart surgery. In July 1975, upon recovery, he was reassigned to Austin Preparatory School in Reading.
Known and respected as scientist and teacher, Father Bill Cusick served for many years as Reader for the Physics and Chemistry Advanced Placement Tests at Princeton University in New Jersey. On June 18, 1978, Father Cusick died suddenly while vacationing. A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated in the Chapel of St. Mary's Hall, Villanova, Pa., followed by interment in the community cemetery at St. Mary's Hall. In 1980, his body was transferred to the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pa.