1908 – 1975 (July 17)
Henry Charles Carr was born in Aldan, Pennsylvania, on July 4, 1908, to Charles Carr, a fireman, and Frances Dougherty. He made his first profession of vows in the Augustinian Order in 1931, graduated from Villanova College in 1935 and pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 7, 1938 in Washington, DC.
After ordination Father Carr was one of the friars sent to teach at the University of Iloilo in the Phillipines. He was taken as a prisoner of war by the Japanese in 1942 and spent several years in their P.O.W. camp. He was near death from starvation when liberated by the Allied troops in 1945. After returning to the United States he served at our parishes of Our Mother of Good Counsel, in Bryn Mawr, Pa., Saint Augustine, Troy, New York and Saint Genevieve, Flourtown, Pa. He was assigned to the California Province in 1956.
Father was back east on vacation when he was suddenly stricken. He died in Bryn Mawr Hospital on July 17, 1975, at the age of 67. He was buried in the Community Cemetery attached to Saint Mary's Hall, Villanova, Pa., and his body was later transferred to the Augustinian Plot in Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pa.