1903 – 1955 (July 21)
John J. Anderson, son of John J. Anderson and Kathryn Kennedy, was born in the neighborhood of Our Mother of Sorrows Parish, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on November 19, 1903. His family moved to Haddon Heights, New Jersey, where John received his early education in local schools. He entered Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, as a postulant in 1924, and was received into the novitiate of Our Mother of Good Counsel on August 15, 1926. He made his first profession on August 16, 1927, and received his B.A. from Villanova College in 1931. He pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. and was ordained to the priesthood there at the National Shrine on June 12, 1934 by Bishop John McNamara. He received an M.A. from the Catholic University of America in 1935.
After graduate studies, Father Anderson was assigned to Colegio San Agustin, Havana, Cuba. From 1938 to 1944, he was Master of Professed at Saint Mary's Hall, Villanova, PA. In June, 1948, he became a member of the Province Mission Band with his community at Our Mother of Good Counsel Parish, Bryn Mawr, PA.
Father Anderson died on July 21, 1955 at the age of 52, at St. Anne’s Rectory in Bethlehem, PA., shortly after celebrating the 7:30 morning Mass, while on a summer mission assignment in that parish. His funeral Mass was celebrated by Father John Dunne, O.S.A. with Father Stephen Lanen, O.S.A. as homilist. Father Anderson is buried in the Community Cemetery at Villanova.