1906 – 1957 (September 10)
Edward Martin Dwyer, son of James Dwyer and Katherine Curry was born on March 6, 1906 in Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania. He attended Our Mother of Consolation Parish Elementary School, after which he entered Villanova Prep. He was accepted into the novitiate at Villanova on June 25, 1924 and pronounced simple vows on June 26, 1925, and solemn vows on June 26, 1928. That same year he received his B.A. degree from Villanova College and left to pursue theological studies at the University of Würzburg, Bravaria, Germany. He was ordained by the Bishop of Würzburg, Mathias Ehrenfried, on July 25, 1931, in St. Michael’s Seminary Chapel. He received his Doctorate in Philosophy from the University of Würzburg that same year and was appointed Master of Professed Clerics at Santa Monica International College, Rome by Prior General Clemens Fuhl.
In 1936, while in Rome, he earned an S.T.L. at the Angelicum. From 1937 to 1944, Father Dwyer was the chairman of the Philosophy Department at Villanova. From 1944 to 1956, he served as dean at Villanova. In 1956, he was elected first definitor of the Province of St. Thomas of Villanova.
Fr. Dwyer suffered a massive heart attack in his monastery room, and died September 10, 1957 at Bryn Mawr Hospital. The Office of the Dead, with Auxiliary Bishop Carroll McCormick of Philadelphia present, was recited on September 13th. The Requiem Mass was offered the following day by Prior Provincial, Henry Greenlee, O.S.A. Father William Lunney, O.S.A. preached. Bishop Canisius Van Lierde, O.S.A., Vicar of Vatican City, presided. Father Dwyer was buried in the community cemetery at Villanova.