1916 – 2012 (September 13)
Angus Nicholas Carney was born on November 22, 1916, in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania, the son of Angus Carney and Mary McKenna. He had one brother, William J. Carney, who was also a member of the Province of St. Thomas of Villanova, and one sister Mary Carney Harrold. Angus was baptized on December 10, 1916, at Holy Savior Church, Linwood, Pa., and attended Holy Savior Parochial School. He entered Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, as a postulant in 1931 and graduated in 1935. He was received into Good Counsel Novitiate on September 9, 1935, and professed simple vows on September 10, 1936. He then began studies at Saint Mary's Hall, Villanova, in 1936, and received a BA in Philosophy in 1940, having professed solemn vows on September 10, 1939. Angus was a member of the Augustinian College Community, Washington, DC, from 1940 until 1944 where he completed for his theological studies, and was ordained there to the priesthood on May 29, 1943, in the Chapel of Trinity College.
Father Carney's first assignment was to Saint Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois, where he taught until 1949. For a brief period he was assigned to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Jamaica, N.Y., and from 1950 to 1953 he served as associate pastor at Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, Staten Island, N.Y. He then taught at Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, D.C., while a member of Saint John of Sahagun Friary from 1953 to 1967. During this time he completed an MA degree in Religious Studies at Villanova University. He served as associate pastor at Saint Denis Parish, Havertown, PA., from 1967 to 1968, and then in the Diocese of Trenton, New Jersey, from 1968 to 1969. Father Carney returned to teaching at Msgr. Bonner High School, Drexel Hill, in 1970 and in 1980, was transferred to Villanova Preparatory School, Ojai, California, until the following year, and then served for a brief period as associate pastor at Our Mother of Consolation Parish, Chestnut Hill, Pa. After two years at Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, Pa. he served from 1983 to 1993 in various parishes in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia: Saint Augustine, Saint Rita, and Saint Genevieve.
In 1993, at the age of 77, Fr. Carney was assigned to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, where he died peacefully on September 13, 2012. His funeral Mass was celebrated at St. Thomas of Villanova Parish Church, on September 17, 2012 with Father Anthony M. Genovese, Prior Provincial as celebrant. Father Carney is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Conshohocken, Pa.