1902 – 1995 (September 26)
Aloysius John Tierney was born March 10, 1902 in McKinley, Pennsylvania to Edward Tierney and Nora Sullivan, and was one of five brothers and three sisters. He was baptized on March 23, 1902 at Immaculate Conception Church, Jenkintown, PA. He was received into the novitiate on June 21, 1923, and professed simple vows on June 22, 1924, and solemn vows on June 22, 1927. He earned a B. A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, PA., in June, 1927, did theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., and was ordained to the priesthood on June 10, 1930 in Washington by Bishop John M. McNamara.
Father Tierney's first assignment was to Saint Rita High School, Chicago, from 1931 to 1940. From 1940 to 1946 he served as a teacher at Cascia Hall, Tulsa, Oklahoma. In 1946 and 1947 he was assistant pastor at Saint Mary Parish, Rockford, Illinois, and in 1947 was assistant pastor of Saint Augustine Parish, Detroit, Michigan, and served as prior of the Augustinian community there. Father Tierney worked as a missionary at San Francisco de la Espada Mission Parish, San Antonio, Texas, from 1959 to 1961. He returned to Saint Mary Parish, Rockford, in 1961, serving as its pastor until 1968, and then volunteered for the foreign missions, serving as pastor of Our Lady of Consolation Parish, Monterrico, Perú, and prior of the Augustinian community there until 1971. He then was assigned to Saint Anthony of Padua Parish, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Father Tierney retired to Saint Monica Monastery, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, in 1982. From 1983 to 1989 he resided at Holy Rosary Parish, Kenosha, Wisconsin, and moved to Saint Rita Monastery, Chicago, in 1989, remaining there until his need for special care necessitated a move to Mother Theresa Home, Lemont, Illinois. He died there September 26, 1995 from heart failure and advanced age.
Father Tierney was a gentle person who was always willing to listen and comfort suffering souls. He dedicated his life to serving the Church wherever the need would arise. He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.