1889 – 1957 (January 16)
Charles Joseph Melchior was born on March 23, 1889. in Barto, Pennsylvania to George W. Melchior and Rosa Clemmer. He was baptized on March 28, 1889 at Blessed Sacrament Church, Bally, PA. After completing his secondary education at Villanova Prep, Villanova, Pennsylvania, Charles attended Pottstown Business College, Pottstown, Pennsylvania, and worked for a short time at Orino Silk Mills, where his father was manager. He was received into the novitiate on June 22, 1911, and professed simple vows on June 22, 1912. He made solemn profession on June 25, 1915. He earned a B. A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, in 1915, and then pursued theological studies there as well. He was ordained to the priesthood on May 16, 1918.
Father Melchior served as assistant pastor of Saint Thomas of Villanova Parish, Villanova, from 1918 to 1920. In 1920 he was appointed assistant director of novices and professed students at Saint Mary's Hall, Villanova. The following year, he was named procurator. When the novitiate was relocated from Villanova to New Hamburg, New York, Father Melchior was named the first Director of Novices at the new site.
In 1932 he was named procurator of Villanova College. He was transferred in 1938 to Saint Augustine Parish, Detroit, Michigan, where he was assistant pastor and prior of the Augustinian community. In 1939 he became pastor of the parish as well. When the new Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel was established in 1941, Father Melchior became affiliated to that Province. He was elected Prior Provincial in 1944, and was reelected to a second three-year term in 1947.
Upon conclusion of his second term as Prior Provincial in 1950, Father Melchior resumed his former duties as pastor of Saint Augustine Parish and prior of the Augustinian community there. He held those positions until the time his death from a heart attack on January 16, 1957. Father Melchior is buried in the Augustinian cemetery at Villanova.