1926 – 2012 (October 19)
Charles Patrick Laferty was born on July 13, 1926, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, one of two sons and a daughter of John M. Laferty, M.D. and Laura Shea. Charles was baptized on July 25, 1926, at Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church, Philadelphia, and attended St. Joan of Arc Parochial School, St. William Parochial School, (1936-1940), and LaSalle High School. Upon graduation in 1944, he enrolled at Villanova College, and following one year’s studies, spent a year of service with the U.S. Army. He returned to Villanova in 1946, and on September 9, 1948 was received as a novice at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York. He professed simple vows on September 10, 1949, and returned to Villanova where he received a BA in Chemistry in June 1950. He then went to Augustinian College, Washington, DC for theological studies, and at the same time pursued an MA in Philosophy at the Catholic University of America. He professed solemn vows on September 10, 1952, and was ordained to the priesthood on June 6, 1953, at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington, DC, by Bishop John McNamara. He pursued further graduate studies in Education at the Catholic University of America.
Father Laferty was assigned to Saint John Parish, Schaghticoke, New York, during the summer of 1954, and then to Saint Joseph Friary at Msgr. Bonner High School, Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania. In addition to teaching duties, he served as Director of Activities, Assistant Athletic Director, and Moderator of Dramatics. He also taught part time at Villanova University from 1954-1961. From 1961 to 1968 he was assigned to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine High School, Bronx, New York, where he taught, and from 1964-1968 served as Principal. From 1968 to 1971, Father Laferty was Master of Professed Students at Augustinian College, Washington, DC, and Regent of Studies. From 1971 to 1975, he was assigned to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, Pennsylvania, while serving as the Province Regent of Studies and Province Director of Formation and President of the Augustinian Educational Association. From 1975 to 1979 he was assigned to Casa San Lorenzo as prior of the Community and Vice President for Academic Affairs at Biscayne College. From 1979 to 1980, while pursuing graduate studies, he completed a federal government grant, while a member of the community of Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, Staten Island, New York.
In 1980, he returned to Saint Thomas Monastery and Villanova University, where he worked in a number of capacities: from 1980 to 1986 as Assistant to the President and teacher; from 1986-1990 as Province Director of Development, Director of the Augustinian Seminary Guild, and Director of Augustinian Missions. From 1990 to 2008, he taught at Villanova. Father Laferty taught either full time or part time, every year since his ordination. Though teaching was his passion, he was also known by his monastery community to be a good poker player and a person with a good sense of humor.
Father Laferty died on the evening of October 19, 2012 at St. Thomas Monastery. His Funeral Mass was held on the evening of October 22, 2012 at St. Thomas of Villanova Church on the campus of Villanova University. The Prior Provincial, Father Anthony M. Genovese, O.S.A., presided and the homilist was Father John J. Byrnes, O.S.A. Father Laferty is buried in the Augustinian Plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.