1914 – 1970 (January 2)
George Joseph McLaughlin, son of John F. and Ann E. McLaughlin, was born in the coal region of Pennsylvania at Avoca on February 10, 1914. His primary education was obtained at Saint Cecilia Parochial School and Public Schools 33 and 35 in Scranton. He attended Scranton Central High School and, from 1930 to 1931, Malvern Preparatory School. His college education was begun at Villanova in 1931-1932, and at Saint Thomas College, Scranton, 1932-1933. George was received as a novice on September 9, 1933. He pronounced simple vows on September 10, 1934, and completed his college studies at Villanova. He pronounced solemn vows on September 10, 1937, and did his theological training at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., where he was ordained to the priesthood at the National Shrine on May 30, 1939. The following year he was awarded a Master of Arts degree in economics by Catholic University.
Father McLaughlin's first assignment was as a teacher at Saint Augustine High School, San Diego, California from 1940 to 1944. He volunteered as an army chaplain in the Second World War, and served in the European theater from 1944 to 1946. Upon discharge from the Armed Services he was stationed at Villanova and was a member of the Augustinian Mission Band from 1947 to 1948. In June, 1948, he was named dean of student activities at Villanova and from 1956 to 1965 served as dean of men at the University. In the summer of 1965 Father McLaughlin was transferred to Merrimack College, North Andover, Massachusetts, as Professor of Economics, until his sudden death five years later, January 2, 1970, at the age of fifty-five.
A forceful speaker and a precise teacher, he moved easily and competently through the multiple duties of his administrative office. Father McLaughlin is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pa.