1903 – 1981 (January 13)
Henry Aloysius Wierman, son of Thaddeus K. Wierman and Rose McMaster, was born in McSherrystown, Pennsylvania, on July 3, 1903. After attending Villanova Preparatory School, he entered the novitiate at Villanova on June 21, 1923. He professed simple vows on June 22, 1924, and solemn vows on June 22, 1927. He graduated from Villanova College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1927, and studied theology at Augustinian College in Washington, D.C. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 10, 1930.
For one year after ordination Father Wierman served as a student priest at Villanova College, Villanova, Pa. In 1931 he was sent to Saint Rita Parish, Chicago, IL, where he served as an assistant until 1935, when he was transferred to Saint Rita High School in the same city. When the new Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel was formed in 1941, he was appointed prior at Saint Rita High School, and in 1944, prior at Saint Thomas High School, Rockford, IL. In 1947 he was transferred to Saint Mary's Parish, Rockford, where he served as assistant pastor and councilor of the province.
When Saint Augustine Seminary was opened in Holland, MI, in 1949, Father Wierman was assigned there and served there until the seminary closed in 1977. From then until the time of his death, he lived in retirement at Holy Rosary Parish, Kenosha, WI. He died on January 13, 1981.
Father Henry Wierman was revered for both his candor and his humility. He was well-known as a confessor and gave patient counsel and direction to many of his fellow Augustinians. He touched the young and old, both within and outside the Augustinian community.
Father Wierman is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA.