1905 – 1963 (July 25)
Henry Bernard Smith, son of John Smith and Joan Sullivan, was born on July 6, 1905, in Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania and baptized in Our Mother of Consolation Church there. Following his high school education as a postulant at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, he was accepted into the novitiate in 1925 and made simple profession on August 16, 1926. He made his solemn profession of vows on the same date in 1929. Henry completed his studies at Villanova in 1930 receiving his A.B. degree, and was ordained to the priesthood in the National Shrine on June 13, 1933.
His first assignment was to Saint Augustine's parish in Detroit, Michigan, on July 6, 1934. On November 29, 1935 Father Smith was assigned to Saint Augustine's in Andover, Massachusetts, the parish he served for the remainder of his life. For 27 years he was the assistant at Saint Augustine's and during his last seven years he was pastor. During his term he also served the Province as Fourth Definitor from the 1951 and 1953 Chapters and Third Definitor in 1956.
Father Smith was greatly respected in Andover not only for his efforts in the parish but his great civic and ecumenical activities, as well as for his work for the entire community.
He died suddenly at Bon Secours Hospital on July 35, 1963 and was buried in Saint Augustine's Cemetery, Andover, Massachusetts.