1919 – 1988 (May 28)
Henry James McIntyre was born on September 14, 1919 in Philadelphia, PA, one of four sons and two daughters of William McIntyre and Marie Keightley. His early education took place at the H.A. Brown Public School and the parish school of Saint Anne from which he graduated in June 1934. After one year at Northeast Catholic High School in Philadelphia, in 1935 he entered Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, from which he graduated in 1939. He entered the novitiate at New Hamburg, N.Y. and professed simple vows on September 10, 1940, and solemn vows three years later on the same day in 1943. He graduated from Villanova University in 1944 with a Bachelor of Arts degree and pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington D.C., where he was ordained to the priesthood on June 10, 1947. While studying theology Father obtained in 1948 a Master of Arts degree in Latin with a minor in Greek from the Catholic University of America.
Father McIntyre's first assignment was to Malvern Preparatory School, Malvern, PA, in 1948, where he taught Latin and English. In 1950 he was transferred to Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, where for three years he taught Latin and Greek. In 1954 he was assigned to Our Mother of Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, NY, where, for one year he was sub-master of novices. From 1955 to 1961 he was parochial assistant at Saint James the Minor Parish, Carthage, N.Y., and, in 1961, was transferred to Merrimack College, North Andover, MA. That same year Father McIntyre, transferred to the Province of Saint Joseph in Canada and taught at Saint Augustine in Nova Scotia. In 1963 he pursued further studies in France and was assigned in 1964 to Saint Mary's Church, Waterford, NY. For the next 14 years Father, on leave from the Province, assisted in various parishes with the diocese of Saint Petersburg, FL, returning in 1979 to become associate pastor of Saint James the Minor in Carthage and later in that year to Saint Augustine, Casselberry, FL, where he worked as chaplain in Orange Park, FL. With his health failing due to terminal cancer, he took up residence at Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova University in 1987, where he died on May 28, 1988.
Father McIntyre was a very precise and unassuming person, and a lover of tradition and music. He is buried in the Augustinian plot of Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, PA.