1830 – 1905 (May 27)
James David Waldron was born in London, England, on November 19, 1830, the son of William Waldron and Mary Stanton, and a first cousin of Father Patrick Stanton, O.S.A. James immigrated to the United States in 1851 and, on November 13, 1856, entered the novitiate at Villanova, PA. He made his simple profession on October 15, 1857, and the following year became a citizen of the United States. He completed his studies for the priesthood at Villanova, and was ordained to the priesthood in May, 1861 by Bishop James Wood.
After ordination, Father Waldron was assigned to Villanova where, three years later he was appointed prior of the community. He was also named pastor of Saint Denis' in nearby Ardmore. In 1868, he served as rector in Cambridge, N.Y., and the following year offered the first Mass in Greenwich, N.Y. He returned to Villanova as pastor and opened a new frame church there in July, 1872. He later served as prior and pastor at Hoosick Falls and Greenwich, both in N.Y.
In 1886, Father Waldron was elected first definitor by the Provincial Chapter. In October, 1889, he was notified of his selection by the Prior General to be Rector Provincial at the resignation from the office of Prior Provincial of Father Christopher McEvoy. Father Waldron was elected Prior Provincial on July 22, 1890. During his term of office he reinstituted the Province retreats at Villanova, obtained canonical foundations for Chestnut Hill, Atlantic City and Immaculate Conception and Saint Laurence in Lawrence, Massachusetts. He returned the parish at Berwyn to the archdiocese and accepted formal charge of the parish at Bryn Mawr.
Father Waldron completed his term as Provincial in 1894, and spent the remaining years of his life at Saint Augustine's in Philadelphia, PA. He died there on May 27, 1905 at the age of 75. He is buried in the vault at Saint Augustine's.