1867 – 1936 (November 3)
James Francis Green was born in Chestnut Hill, PA on March 1, 1867, the eldest of eight children of Hugh Green and Anna Reilly, and was baptized five days later at Our Mother of Consolation Church by Father William Harnett, O.S.A. He entered the novitiate at Villanova, PA in August, 1887, and made his simple profession of vows on September 2, 1888. He was ordained to the priesthood at the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul by Archbishop Patrick Ryan on June 11, 1892.
Father Green served on our missions at Saint Mary's in Lawrence, MA; and in New York State at Hoosick Falls, Schaghticoke, and Greenwich where he became rector in 1901. As rector in Greenwich, he built a new church and rectory. In 1905, he was sent to Chicago, IL, to organize the work of establishing new foundations. He first established Saint Rita's church, convent, and school, which were built in 1906. He also served as the first rector of these new foundations.
From 1905 until his death, Father Green successfully directed the work of our early establishments in the Chicago area. He served there in such capacities as rector, director of the school, and rector of Saint Rita's parish. He was also definitor of the undivided Province from 19129 to 1935, and also served as Vicar Provincial of Illinois.
From 1905 to 1915, Father Green officiated at the cornerstone laying and the establishments of five foundations in the Greater Chicago area. These included: Saint Rita's; Saint Clare's; Saint Rita's parish, Saint Gall's, and saint Nicholas of Tolentine. Of these five foundations, Saint Rita's; Saint Clare's and Saint Rita's parish became permanent Augustinian foundations.
Father Green was 69 when he died in Chicago on November 3, 1936. He is buried at Villanova in the Community Cemetery.