1884 – 1945 (January 16)
John Andrew Howard, son of John Howard and Nora Casey, was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts, on December 4, 1884. Received as a novice at Villanova on July 3, 1904, he made simple profession on July 4, 1905, and solemn profession on July 6, 1908. All of his philosophical and theological studies were done at Villanova where he was awarded a Bachelor of Arts degree on June 14, 1906 and a Master of Arts degree on June 12, 1908. He was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Edmond Prendergast at Overbrook on May 29, 1909. Father Howard's first appointment was to Saint John the Baptist Parish, Schaghticoke, New York, on June 24, 1909, and then, in 1910, to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Atlantic City, New Jersey. From 1917 until 1922 he was assistant pastor at Saint Paul Parish, Mechanicville, N.Y., and the following year he was at Our Mother of Good Counsel, Bryn Mawr. At the Provincial Chapter of 1922 he was made administrator of the proposed Ojai, California foundation, and in 1924, became the first prior and rector of the new Villanova Preparatory School at Ojai.
In 1932 Father Howard was appointed prior and rector of Saint Peter High School in Aurora, Illinois, and the following year was made the first Augustinian principal at Saint Thomas High School, Rockford, IL. From 1935 to 1941 he was prior and pastor of Saint Paul, Mechaicville, N.Y. His final assignment was as a member of Saint Mary's Community, Lawrence.
An outgoing, demonstrative person, Father Howard was an inventive, pioneering administrator. Growing feeble in his last years he was taken to mount Hope in Baltimore, where he died on January 16, 1945. Father Howard is buried in the Augustinian plot at Saint Mary's Cemetery, Lawrence, MA.