1908 – 1977 (May 4)
John Francis Lehane was born July 29, 1908 in Lawrence, Massachusetts to Jeremiah F. Lehane and Helena Donovan. He was baptized August 5, 1908 at St. Patrick Church, Lawrence, and received the Sacrament of Confirmation May 11, 1922 at St. Mary Church, Lawrence. He was received into the novitiate on September 9, 1928, and professed simple vows on September 10, 1929, and solemn vows on September 10, 1932. He earned a B. A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, in 1933, and then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D. C. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 9, 1936. He did additional studies at The Temple School, Washington, and at St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri.
Father Lehane's first assignment was in 1937 to St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois, as teacher. Assignments to St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan and St. Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois, followed. Father Lehane was on leave from the Order for several years, but returned to the community in 1965. He was assigned to Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, from 1966 to 1968, and then once again to St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1968 to 1971. He was appointed procurator at Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, in 1971.
Father Lehane was visiting members of his family when he suffered a stroke, which caused his death on May 4, 1977. He is buried in the Augustinian Plot at St. Mary Cemetery, Lawrence.