1894 – 1960 (January 14)
Joseph Emmett Heney was born March 17, 1894 in Randolph, Massachusetts to William Heney and Margaret Dwyer, and was baptized March 21, 1894 at Saint Mary’s Church there. He received his elementary education at North Grammar School, Randolph, and graduated from Stetson High School, Randolph, in 1911. That same year he entered the Saint Rita’s Hall at Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania. He was received into the novitiate on June 24, 1914, and professed simple vows on July 2, 1915 and solemn vows July 3, 1918. He earned a B. A. in Philosophy from Villanova College in 1918. He then pursued theological studies at Villanova College, and was ordained to the priesthood on June 10, 1922.
Father Heney taught at the Colegio San Agustin College, Havana, Cuba in 1922 and 1923. In 1923 he was assigned to teach at Saint Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois. In 1931 he became a member of the Augustinian Mission Band, residing first at Saint Thomas of Villanova Parish, Rosemont, Pa., and later at Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, Staten Island, N. Y.
When the new Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel was established in 1941, Father Heney was affiliated to it, and was named the first director of its Mission Band, serving in that capacity until 1944, when he was named pastor of St. Augustine Parish, Detroit, Michigan. In 1947 he was named pastor and prior of Saint Clare of Montefalco Parish, Chicago. He served as Pastor of St. Clare until the time of his death.
Father Heney was elected to the Councils of both the Villanova Province and Our Mother of Good Counsel Province.
He died on January 14, 1960, after a lengthy illness. A priest who knew him well said, "He was a hard worker and a hard preacher, but he was kind and always understanding of the problems of the laity. He was never harsh--never."
Father Heney is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.