1904 – 1981 (August 6)
Joseph Francis O'Malley was born December 14, 1904 in Hoosick Falls, New York to Martin O’Malley and Mary McCormick O'Malley. He was baptized there on Christmas Day, 1904 at Immaculate Conception Church, and received the Sacrament of Confirmation May 18, 1916 at St. Joseph Church, Greenwich, New York. In 1921, he graduated from Greenwich High School, and began collegiate studies at Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1922. He was received into the novitiate on June 21, 1923, professed simple vows on June 22, 1924 and solemn vows on June 22, 1927. Joseph earned a B.A. in Philisophy from Villanova College, in 1926, and pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. from 1926 to 1930. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 10, 1929, and did additional studies at Catholic University of America, Washington, and at the University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois.
Father O'Malley was assigned in 1930 to teach in Havana, Cuba. In 1932 he returned to the United States, serving as Chaplain at Villanova College, Villanova. Beginning in 1933, he taught for ten years at St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois. From 1943 to 1951 he served as assistant pastor at St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Chicago. He taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1951 to 1960, and was named pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Chicago, in 1960.
Father O’Malley served in the Augustinian Missions in Chulucanas, Peru during 1965 and 1966. He returned to the United States at the end of 1966 and joined the faculty of Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, Missouri. He was sent again to St. Rita High School, Chicago, in 1968. He was assigned in 1969 to St. Augustine Seminary, Holland, Michigan, where he served as Chaplain to the Augustinian Contemplative Nuns, whose convent was on the seminary grounds. In 1977 he moved to St. Monica Monastery, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.
After a lengthy illness, Father O’Malley, known as a man of goodness, kindness and compassion, died on August 6, 1981. He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.