1934 – 2001 (February 8)
Alexander Daniel Osuna, son of Alexander Osuna and Jessie Romero, was born in San Diego, California, on May 28, 1934. He was baptized in the church of the Immaculate Conception, attended Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish School and Saint Augustine High School, all located in San Diego. While at Saint Augustine's he was a member of the Yearbook staff, band, manager for track and J.V. Football. After graduating from high school in 1954, he entered the Order and began his oblature and postulancy at the community of Saint Augustine, San Diego. In 1958, he began his novitiate at New Hamburg, New York, and professed first vows on January 23, 1959, choosing Nicholas as his religious name. Brother Nicholas professed solemn vows on January 23, 1962.
From 1959 to 1964, Brother Nicholas was assigned to Saint Augustine, San Diego, where he was the community sacristan and maintained the school property. From 1964 to 1966, he became a member of the Villanova Preparatory School community in Ojai, California, where he served as sacristan and continued his maintenance skills. From August 1966 to June of 1969, Brother Nicholas became a vital part of the new house of studies at Camarillo, CA., where he maintained the property and procured and prepared food for the community. He was assigned to Mount Augustine Retreat House on Staten Island, N. Y., from June 1969 to August 1971. There, he continued his service in maintenance and took on the task of driver, which included transporting personnel and retreatants to and from the Staten Island Ferry and assisted in the organizational details for the retreat center. In August 1971, Brother Nicholas was assigned to Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, Staten Island, and in April 1973, to Our Mother of Good Counsel Community in New Hamburg, N.Y. There, he supervised the maintenance of the four buildings and the
99-acre property. After brief assignments at Austin Preparatory School, Reading, Mass., Saint Thomas of Villanova, Rosemont Pa, and Saint Augustine Friary, Villanova, Pa, Brother Nicholas was assigned, in 1984, to Saint Thomas Monastery, on the campus of Villanova University. There, he assisted the older friars, introduced and maintained community projects, and worked as sacristan for the parish and university. His carpentry and machinery skills were expressed in creative designs, repairs and grounds keeping.
Brother Nicholas had expressed his desire to join the Order when he witnessed the commitment of friars in community living, especially in their exercise of common prayer. Following the example of the religious he met in his youth, he lived a life of dedication to internal community ministry. Although, during his later years, progressive illness reduced his daily schedule, he never lost his sense of humor.
Brother Nicholas died on February 8, 2001, at Bryn Mawr Hospital, Pa. A Mass of the Resurrection was celebrated at the campus church of Saint Thomas of Villanova, and burial took place at the Augustinian plot, Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pa.