1887 – 1958 (August 30)
Patrick Henry Kehoe was born on August 20, 1887, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to John J. Kehoe and Bridget Kane. He was baptized there on August 28, 1887 at St. Francis Xavier Church. Patrick received his elementary education at St. Agatha School, Philadelphia, and graduated from Roman Catholic High School, also in Philadelphia, in 1905. He then continued at Roman Catholic for a year of post-graduate studies. He entered the Augustinian formation program on September 10, 1906 at St. Rita Hall, Villanova, Pennsylvania, and was received into the novitiate on February 2, 1907. He professed simple vows on February 2, 1908, and was sent to Santa Monica International College, Rome, Italy for theological studies. He was ordained a priest in Rome on July 25, 1913.
Father Kehoe returned to the United States in 1914 and was appointed that year as rector of the Augustinian minor seminary program at Saint Rita Hall, Villanova. He was Director of Novices and Professed at Villanova from 1918 to 1922. In 1920 he earned an S.T.L. Degree. Father Kehoe was assigned in 1922 to teach Theology at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., and continued in this work until 1936. In addition to teaching, he served in a number of roles at various times: Director of Professed Students in Washington, Province Regent of Studies, Secretary of the Province, and Assistant Provincial. He earned an M.S.T. Degree in 1930.
Father Kehoe was transferred in 1936 to Saint Rita Parish, Chicago, Illinois, where he was pastor and prior of the Augustinian community. In 1937, he was named Vicar Provincial for the Midwest Augustinians. When the new Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel was established in 1941, Father Kehoe served as Commissary Provincial until a Provincial was elected at the first Province Chapter in June of 1941. Father Kehoe continued as Pastor of Saint Rita Parish, Chicago, until the time of his death. During his pastorate, a much larger church building was constructed around the original church, which had become too small for the large congregation. During the construction, the older building continued to be used for daily and Sunday worship until the new church was almost complete. The original building was then dismantled.
For many years, Father Kehoe suffered from a painful blood disease. Worn out by this disease, he died on August 30, 1958 in Chicago.
Father Kehoe is remembered as a teacher of great ability who demanded accomplishments from his students. He was a serious man who understood human nature and recognized the potential existing in others. He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.