1909 – 2001 (January 29)
Patrick Joseph Kenny, son of Patrick Kenny and Susan McCloy, was born on February 20, 1909, on Staten Island, New York. He was baptized on March 7, 1909, in the church of Our Lady of Good Counsel, and attended Public School 17 in Tompkinsville, S.I., and Curtis High School. In 1927, he graduated from Augustinian Academy receiving second highest honors and elected class valedictorian. On September 8, 1927, Patrick Kenny entered the novitiate at New Hamburg, N.Y., professed first vows on September 9, 1928, and solemn vows three years later. In June 1932, he received a B.A. degree in philosophy from Villanova College, and then studied theology at the University of Wurzburg, Germany, under Professor Hans Meyer. He was ordained to the priesthood on July 28, 1935, by Bishop Matthias Ehrenfried of Wurzburg.
In 1937, when Father Kenny returned to the United States, he was assigned to teach at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island. During the nineteen years that he was a member of that community, he taught Religion, Greek, Latin and social studies. He served as sub-prior from 1944 to 1950, when he was appointed prior and treasurer. From 1942 to 1946, he was auxiliary chaplain to the German Prisoners of War of the Halloran General Hospital on Staten Island. In 1956, Father Kenny was assigned prior and pastor at Saint James Parish in Carthage, N. Y. During his pastorate a parish grammar school was built. Father served on the Boundary Board for the Ogdensburg Diocesan Synod, was confessor to religious priests and Brothers, and preached in fifteen parishes for the Augustinian Missions. In 1959, Father Kenny was appointed sub-prior and counselor to the Augustinian Community at Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Jamaica, N. Y., where he served as associate pastor for thirty-one years. At various times he was moderator of many organizations.
In 1990, due to failing health, he retired to Saint Thomas of Villanova Monastery. He died on January 29, 2001, at Bryn Mawr Hospital, Bryn Mawr, Pa.
Father Kenny taught the Gospel with a sense of humor and a masterful use of words. He was a zealous preacher, patient confessor, and dedicated teacher. In 1995, he wrote these sentiments about the Monastery Health Care Unit. "It is hard to say it, but many of the infirm have made their last stop on the journey of life. Our compline prayers, which we say every night, tell us the blessing: May the all-powerful Lord grant us a restful night and a peaceful death. Amen. Thanks to all who had anything to do with making this a restful haven."
A mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at Saint Thomas of Villanova Church and interment took place at the Augustinian plot, Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pa.