1940 – 2014 (May 20)
Ralph John Monteiro was born on June 24, 1940, in the Bronx, New York, one of two sons of Ralph F. Monteiro and Amelia E. Kupezynski. He attended Public School 59 from 1945 to 1948, and Our Savior's Parish School, from 1948 to 1953. He then enrolled in Cardinal Hayes High School, also in the Bronx. Ralph was a postulant at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, N.Y, from 1957 to 1958, and then entered the Order as a novice on September 9, 1958 at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, N.Y., He professed simple vows on September 10, 1959 and began studies at Villanova University, from which he received a BA in Philosophy in 1963. He pursued theology studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. during the period 1963 to 1967, and received an MA degree. In 1968 he received an MS in library science from Villanova University. He professed solemn vows on September 10, 1962, and was ordained to the priesthood on November 19, 1966, at Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Church, Bronx, New York, by Archbishop John McGuire.
Father Ralph was assigned in 1967 to St. Joseph Friary and Msgr. Bonner High School, Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, where he taught and was assistant librarian. In 1969 he was assigned to St. John of Sahagun Friary and Archbishop Carroll High School, Washington, DC, where he held the same responsibilities. From 1970 to 1971 he was adult services librarian in Maryland’s Prince George's County public library system. From 1972 to 1973 he was assigned to Saint Augustine Friary, Malvern, Pennsylvania and was librarian at Malvern Preparatory School. He then served. From 1973 to 1975 at the Christian Brothers' Retreat House, Adamstown, Maryland, as chaplain and youth retreat director. After a brief assignment to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Atlantic City, New Jersey, he served as Chaplain at Rosemont College and resided at the Saint Thomas of Villanova Parish Friary, Rosemont, Pa. From 1976 to 1977, he returned to parish ministry at Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Church, Atlantic City, New Jersey. He then served as associate pastor at Our Mother of Consolation Parish, Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, (1977-1980). In 1980 he pursued continuing education at Madonna House, Combermere, Ontario, Canada. From 1980 to 1985 he was assigned to Saint Joseph Frairy, Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, and worked in retreat and preaching ministry. Beginning in 1985 he served in the Diocese of Santa Rosa, California, at the Mission of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, Hoopa, California, as the parish administrator and diocesan liaison for Native American ministry. From 2000 to 2003 he volunteered in the AIDS Resource Center, San Francisco, California. In 2004 he was assigned to Saint Augustine Friary, Villanova, and in 2008 to Saint Thomas Monastery, and served as a preacher and fund raiser for the relief organization, Food For The Poor.
He died in St. Thomas of Villanova Monastery on Tuesday, May 20, 2014 following a brief illness. His funeral Mass was celebrated on the evening of May 27 at St. Thomas of Villanova Church on the campus of Villanova University. Fr. Mickey Genovese, O.S.A., prior provincial, was the celebrant. The homily was preached by Fr. Paul Morrissey, O.S.A. Fr. Monteiro is buried at Calvary Cemetery in West Conshohocken, Pa.