1942 – 2006 (October 13)
Terrance William Hyland was born on May 23, 1942, in Hoosick Falls, New York, the son of Thomas W. Hyland and Rita Fordham, and was baptized on June 7, 1942 at Immaculate Conception Church there. He had a twin brother, Thomas, and two sisters, Noreen and Ann Marie. Following his primary school education and high school graduation from Saint Mary's Academy, Hoosick Falls, in 1960, he attended Albany State University, Albany, and graduated with a BS degree in 1964. He taught high school for a year and then was received as a novice on September 9, 1965 at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York. He professed simple vows on September 10, 1966, and from 1966 to 1968 attended Villanova University, pursuing studies in Philosophy while completing an MA. In 1968 he began studies at the Washington Theological Coalition, Washington, D.C.. He obtained his MA in theology in 1972. He professed solemn vows on September 12, 1970, and he was ordained to the priesthood on August 28, 1971, at Saint Denis Church, Havertown, Pa., by Bishop Peter Van Diepen, OSA, missionary bishop of the Diocese of Manokwari-Sorong, Irian Jaya, Indonesia.
Father Terry's first assignment in 1972 was to Malvern Preparatory School, Malvern, Pa, where he taught, was guidance director, and adapted the Cursillo Movement retreat for the students, calling it MECO, Malvernians Encounter Christ in Others. He next was assigned to formation work in the Province from 1977 to 1982 as Director of Professed and Director of the Pre-Novitiate program at Villanova. From 1982 to 1985 he was assistant pastor at Saint Augustine's Parish in Andover, Ma., and from 1985 to 1993 he was pastor at Saint Augustine's Parish in Troy, New York. In 1993 Fr. Terry was assigned to Campus Ministry at Merrimack College, North Andover, Massachusetts, where he lived in one of the college's residence halls. From 1996 to 1998, he returned to Saint Augustine's Parish in Andover, Ma. as assistant pastor. In 1998, he was part of the first group of friars welcomed into the Diocese of Charlotte, North Carolina, by Bishop Curlin. From 1998 to 2003 he was the Director of the Living Waters Catholic Reflection Center, the retreat house of the diocese, and he helped also at Saint Margaret's Parish, Maggie Valley, North Carolina.
Due to health concerns, he was transferred to Saint Thomas Monastery in 2003, during the time of its renovations, such that he was living at Saint Joseph Friary, Drexel Hill, Pa, where the province health care unit was temporarily established. With some improvement to his health, he asked to be assigned as assistant pastor at Saint Rita's Shrine in Philadelphia, from 2004 to 2006. Again, health problems caused him to return to the health care unit at Saint Thomas Monastery.
Father Terry was known for his gentleness, compassion, sense of humor, and approachability. Many sought his spiritual guidance and his insight into the human heart. His long association with the Cursillo Movement helped him to exemplify in all of his ministry the guiding principle of that movement: "Christ is Counting on You."
He passed over to the Lord, early Friday morning, October 13, 2006 at the age of 64. A funeral Mass was celebrated at Villanova, after which his body was taken to St. Augustine Church, Troy, New York, for another Mass on Friday, October 20, 2006. Burial was in the Augustinian Lot in St. John's Cemetery, the following day.